DFW Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Yes I'm...
3,630 Posts
The protesters are calling for boycotts of the Florida Lottery, the state's citrus industry and its major theme parks, among other measures.
Genius!

"If you don't let us graduate, we'll shoot ourselves in the foot!"

Gov Bush: "Go ahead."

:D

·
Recovering Lush
10,011 Posts
302_plus_a_few said:
13,000 high school won't graduate because they failed an acedemic skills test.

Their parents couldn't figure out voting machines that they've used for decades. :rolleyes: It looks like thier kids are just as stupid!

Typicla Florida fucksticks.
These asclowns once again, want to change the rules in midstream: Election 2K, they wanted to abandon electoral law that has been on the books for 100s of years.
Now they wanna get a pass on this.
Crimminy.

·
Premium Member
33,187 Posts
This is a great reason to make the English language the National Language of the US.

If you can't read or write proficient English, you fail. Make it black and white and there is no controversy. (no pun intended)

·
World Record Holder!
12,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
46Tbird said:
This is a great reason to make the English language the National Language of the US.

If you can't read or write proficient English, you fail. Make it black and white and there is no controversy. (no pun intended)
Here here!!
I think Florida has too many "imported" people that can't speak the language. We are just too damn nice to all of these "idiots"!!

·
Recovering Lush
10,011 Posts
46Tbird said:

Shotgunning a beer should also enter the equation, somehow.

·
P.I.M.P.
3,868 Posts
46Tbird said:

Not sure, but Texas and California don't seem to have a problem with this and we have 10s of thousands of hispanics and latinos. Hell, Texas just got another test making it even harder to graduate called the TAKS test so I don't think it's a language thing as much as being lazy. I mean they take it once as a soph, twice as a junior and twice as a senior, after that they can take it infinately. So how you can keep failing a test that doesn't require mathmatical knowledge past algebra 1 and still uses a Concrete Detail-Elaborate-Elaborate writing format is beyond me.

·
Married Man on 14Feb2010
14,140 Posts
I saw this story on Fox's Orielly Factor show last week. The kids have to score a 40%. Some people are upset about this. This is fucking nuts. Some people wonder why you can go through the drive through at McDs and they get 60% of it right. :rolleyes: Come on! 40% is failing??? When I was in school, anything less than 77% was an 'F'.

So, if people can't make the grade, then lower the bar. WTF? Great, just keep dumbing down our kids until they are totally slaves to the government. No wonder this country, in general, is going in the crapper.

·
Procrastination Racing
9,224 Posts
TexasDevilDog said:
So, if people can't make the grade, then lower the bar. WTF? Great, just keep dumbing down our kids until they are totally slaves to the government. No wonder this country, in general, is going in the crapper.
Yep.

·
Premium Member
14,842 Posts
there may be some people from florida who have posted on this site who did not pass this test i have seen some pretty bad posts on here does anyone know if the people who post like this are from florida or not because maybe they are but i am not sure well i guess thats all for now

LOL ;)

·
Married Man on 14Feb2010
14,140 Posts
90 Notch said:
there may be some people from florida who have posted on this site who did not pass this test i have seen some pretty bad posts on here does anyone know if the people who post like this are from florida or not because maybe they are but i am not sure well i guess thats all for now

LOL ;)
Yep, some people should try using punctuation. ;)

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
90 Notch said:

LOL ;)
Benbrook, FL??? :p

·
Premium Member
14,842 Posts
Trey, please tell me you know I was being sarcastic, plzzzzzzz

·
Registered
238 Posts
Yeah, Florida students aren't the brightest in the bunch. Going to school out here, I've had many opportunities to read some of the papers they write. It's flat out ridiculous. My best friend's older sister is a professor here at FSU and can pick out Florida students from out of state students with incredible accuracy based solely on the papers they write. She's from TX.;)

On another note, I doubt many of you have heard of the Bright Futures Program out here. It only applies to in-state FL residents graduating from a FL high school. If you graduate high school with something like a 3.4 GPA and score 1270 or higher on the SAT (can't remember if these are exact figures, but if not, they are close), your entire tuition is paid for by the state. Not only that, you will most likely get some sort of scholarship from the school. I have many friends who are profiting anywhere from $500-4000/semester just to attend college and maintain a 3.0. That's right, $4k profit...after tuition, after fees, after books.

Not only that, but family income has no bearing whatsoever on eligibility for the program. One of my buddies went to the same high school that the movie "Wild Things" (Denise Richards and Neve Campbell...Oh yeah!) was filmed at, his family owns a 90-foot yacht, and he doesn't pay a dime for college.

With incentives such as this, how the hell do 13,000 students fail such an easy test? It is beyond me. My tuition alone is $5-6k/semester. If I were eligible for Bright Futures, I'd be able to pay off a brand new Cobra in less than three years with the money I'd save. Hell, screw that. Make that a new ZO6, paid in full before graduation.

Can't wait to get back to TX after I graduate. I've had a blast out here, but I am sick of FL. One more year.

Troy

1 - 20 of 21 Posts