DFW Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get some new exhaust components for my 98 Cobra. I want to pick up some horsepower and a badass sound. Now, the only thing left on the exhaust is LT headers... Performance-wise, should I get them at all? and if so, Hooker or Mac? I think I will stick with a shorty x-pipe and 2 chamber Flows for now, just wondering what to expect if I got the long tubes.

Or, I could save the money and port and polish the intake instead and save the headers for a later date... What do y'all think?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Get Mac longtube headers and ditch the X pipe, get an offroad shorty H pipe to go with your flows and you will have a clean sounding Cobra. The Macs are priced very good right now and are good quality for the money. You will notice at least 15- 20rwhp from the longtubes, so yes they are well worth it. Plus the added bonus of the sound.

·
Premium Member
872 Posts
I would stay away from mac longtubes. Do either the BBK's or Hooker's and whatever H or X pipe you want.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I would go with the hooker lt's. I have mac not to impressed with them but i got them at a great price, And they are a bitch to install. I would not do them myself. I put them in when i installed the new motor and it was hard.

·
Registered
174 Posts
just a little info for you. you will have to take them off to put a clutch in or drop your motor out enough to take them lose for the bell houseing to clear.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info everybody, I really appreciate it. I am still trying to get the feel for some of these things, so I just thought I would get some opinions. If anyone else has something to add, feel free, I am open to any suggestions.
Thanks again, John.

·
The Janitor
16,424 Posts
shady said:
just a little info for you. you will have to take them off to put a clutch in or drop your motor out enough to take them lose for the bell houseing to clear.
not in the case of the hooder longtubes. They tuck up away from the bellhousing, and people have gotten the tranny out without taking them off. And also they have a slip joint on two of the primary tubes on the passenger side. The one thing i hate is the slip-joint to the x-pipe, it needs a flange.

My two dirty ass hookers laying down on the job.

·
Registered
174 Posts
32VfromHell said:
not in the case of the hooder longtubes. They tuck up away from the bellhousing, and people have gotten the tranny out without taking them off. And also they have a slip joint on two of the primary tubes on the passenger side. The one thing i hate is the slip-joint to the x-pipe, it needs a flange.

My two dirty ass hookers laying down on the job.
yeah sorry about that i have never delt with the hookers just the mac's and bbk's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts