DFW Mustang Forums banner

Euthanasia (GOOD idea or BAD)?

• FOR IT!!! why?

Votes: 25 67.6%
  • AGAINST IT!! why?

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • DON'T care! (What would you do if it were up to you to decide for someone to die!!)

Votes: 6 16.2%
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Semi-Banned
6,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Poll: EUTHANASIA

Euthanasia----

doing a class report on Euthanasia, do you feel is it right or wrong?

im just going to post this poll- so i can get a general view of what percent of you guys are for it or against it, i might use this info on the report as a "CREDIBLE" source:p :D j/k

just would like to get an overview of what you guys felt of the subject!

We routinely euthanize/put down/put to sleep/put out of their misery pets and other animals that are terminally ill or injured, and suffering. It's considered the humane, responsible, merciful, compassionate, mature thing to do. What about humans?

·
hip hop since '82
6,733 Posts
For animals? yes, i see it get done on a day to day basis, on humans?? I say you should let nature take its course...but on the same note, when someone is in bad enough condition they keep them so drugged up anyways they have no clue whats going on anyways, so it could really go either way. Do you keep them on the drugs so they dont feel the pain, or do you let them suffer with out drugs and die a natural death? who knows, just shoot me if im in that bad of shape.

Rodney

·
Recovering Lush
10,011 Posts
Ah, the natural progression for abortion.
We aren't God, and have no business doing his work, whether its on a developing baby or an elderly person.
This is how Nazi Germany did things...if you weren't one of the "beautiful people," you needed to go away.
You can't open this can of worms, because once you do, the line is subject to change....first it's the sick and dying, then it's the mentally unfit, then terminal patients, and so on, and so on, until we're right back where Adolf started......

·
Premium Member
10,174 Posts
I don't see why it's ok for us to do it to animals and not to humans. If a human is suffering and can't make thier own decisions, then we need to make a decision for them, just like with animals.

·
Premium Member
10,174 Posts
halo/horns said:
I had one of my Dad’s dogs put down while he was out of town. She couldn’t get up to use the bathroom, was in terrible pain, and kept crying. We had her own every kind of pill/shot/meds they would give us.

Worst part was they gave her the shot and then walked away to let us say good-bye. The vet comes back and she is still kicken! He says “Damn Giz you always have been a tough old bird” as he puts another shot it. :eek: :eek: I felt like an ass. :(

And if you are wondering he was glad I did it. He hated to see her suffer.
LOL, Rhonda.. what does that have to do with human euthanasia? ;)

·
Keep your unicorns
12,421 Posts
It's bad karma to kill another living being. Living with immense pain is still better than being dead in my book.

·
Married Man on 14Feb2010
14,140 Posts
HookEm said:
Ah, the natural progression for abortion.
We aren't God, and have no business doing his work, whether its on a developing baby or an elderly person.
This is how Nazi Germany did things...if you weren't one of the "beautiful people," you needed to go away.
You can't open this can of worms, because once you do, the line is subject to change....first it's the sick and dying, then it's the mentally unfit, then terminal patients, and so on, and so on, until we're right back where Adolf started......
I heard that retarded people were the first exterminated.

Oh and human life is a grace gift.

·
Recovering Lush
10,011 Posts
GTChick01 said:
I don't see why it's ok for us to do it to animals and not to humans. If a human is suffering and can't make thier own decisions, then we need to make a decision for them, just like with animals.
You just equated a human being to a friggin animal....
Do you also not see why it's ok to eat animals, and not eat human beings?
People are people, animals are not. They were put here to serve mankind, in one capacity or another. They are not our equals.

·
insert something aqui
5,779 Posts
i think your just trying to get some feedback in case you have to write a paper lol
i know

·
Keep your unicorns
12,421 Posts
TexasDevilDog said:
I heard that retarded people were the first exterminated.
Actually it was anyone opposed to Der Feuhrer that was killed first. This included decorated German war heros from WW1 that happened to be Jewish.

·
Married Man on 14Feb2010
14,140 Posts
HookEm said:
You just equated a human being to a friggin animal....
Do you also not see why it's ok to eat animals, and not eat human beings?
People are people, animals are not. They were put here to serve mankind, in one capacity or another. They are not our equals.
Soylent Green

The scoops are coming. Clear the area. I repeat: the scoops are coming.

G

·
i worte my senior year term paper on euthanasia. for me, it was about my beliefs that anyone who has just one ounce of pride doesnt want to live their life as an invalid, or a vegetable. living with excruciating pain for the rest of your life is not better than moving on peacefully to heaven (or wherever the religion of your choice's afterlife may be served...) there is no reason to prolong someones life who may be here physically but isnt here mentally. its just cruel. however, in such cases i think a written document stating that they do or do not want to be on life support should be drawn up before hand.

·
Recovering Lush
10,011 Posts
A living will...a good document to have, and to make your loved one's aware of.

brittney420 said:
i worte my senior year term paper on euthanasia. for me, it was about my beliefs that anyone who has just one ounce of pride doesnt want to live their life as an invalid, or a vegetable. living with excruciating pain for the rest of your life is not better than moving on peacefully to heaven (or wherever the religion of your choice's afterlife may be served...) there is no reason to prolong someones life who may be here physically but isnt here mentally. its just cruel. however, in such cases i think a written document stating that they do or do not want to be on life support should be drawn up before hand.

·
Big Fundamental
911 Posts
HookEm said:
While I respect your opinion, if you say that then by your rationale we have no business giving people innoculations, or medication, or chemotherapy. Surely you aren't suggesting we should abandon doctors altogether, but if you are going to pull the "God's work" card you have to play it until the end. Unfortunately we can't just use it where convenient.

HookEm said:
It's hard to see how the Third Reich is related to allowing abortions and terminally ill people to choose not to suffer. I think equating this issue to the systematic murder of six million people is um... overly dramatic.

For this discussion, first it's the terminal patients, last it's the terminal patients. If you've ever had to sit in a hospital room for two years watching someone you love slowly rot away, you should understand this.

I have some very personal issues with this, so I think I'll bow out of this one as gracefully as possible. I don't mean to step on toes, but I had to get my piddly $0.02 in.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
BP said:
It's bad karma to kill another living being. Living with immense pain is still better than being dead in my book.
I'm gonna have to disagree. It's easy to sit on the sideline and make this call, but unless you're feeling the same physical pain, I think it perhaps a little unfair to make that decision for someone that is suffering. Just my opinion though.

·
Recovering Lush
10,011 Posts
I wasn't referencing the Holocaust, and your comments offer proof that you don't know as much about Nazi Germany as you like to think you do.
Nazi Germany knocked off it's own people that they deemed unfit.
http://www.ahrp.org/infomail/03/10/17a.html
While the fledgling Nazi party did not specifically refer to the Binding-Hoche treatise in any public statements or writings, "euthanasia" was endorsed by Hitler in a most extreme form. In a speech before the Nuremberg Party rally on August 5, 1929 Hitler was explicit:

If Germany were to get a million children a year and were to remove 700-800,000 of the weakest people then the final result might be an increase in our strength. ...As a result of our modern sentimental humanitarianism we are trying to maintain the weak at the expense of the healthy. It goes so far that a sense of charity, which calls itself socially responsible, is concerned to ensure that even cretins are able to procreate while more healthy people refrain from doing so, and all this is considered perfectly understandable. Criminals have the opportunity of procreating, degenerates are raised artificially and with difficulty. And in this way we are gradually breeding the weak and killing off the strong.(15)
http://www.aapsonline.org/jpands/hacienda/article21.html

Furthermore, there is a huge difference between playing God and administering medical care...and you accused ME of being melodramatic????

·
Recovering Lush
10,011 Posts
You make very solid points, but they don't apply to euthanasia, particularly. (Sounds like a horrible situation, might I add. Been thru that, and it isn't the least bit pleasant to watch.)
HOWEVER.....You're talking about someone in control of their situation, whether they go on or not....euthanasia takes that control away.
It would be like you making the decision for her that rather than allowing the doctor to treat her, you're gonan have him put her under.

halo/horns said:
Aww well that brings a whole different aspect to the question. LOL I thought it was over animals.

On humans… I have a bit more insight on this as well. My mother suffers from Chronic Pain. She was injured in her 5 surgery (96) to correct a medical problem. Her nerve was encased in scar tissue (flattened) in 2 areas. She also had several muscles damaged from being stretch to far and a list of other "small" issues she'd kill me if I listed. She can’t sit straight up without excruciating pain, can't bend, can't lift any weight, can't push, and now has a limp. She was suffering the worst my last year in high school. She would lay in her bed for days and whimper with her eyes closed and one hand over her face like she was having a sever migraine. The dr. gave her regular pain meds that didn't even put a dent in her pain. I remember on my 21st birthday I was taking her to a hospital in Houston for another round of tests and she told me “You wouldn’t even let your dog suffer like this.”

She went to France last year with 10 other similar patients for an experimental treatment (didn’t do shit). They were all told that with in a year they should see some improvements. 3 out of those 10 have committed suicide because the surgery didn’t help and in some cases made them worse. Pain meds are still so far from being able to help real pain suffers. Oxycontins seemed to be her miracle drug. At first she was so much better! She could get up and do minimal things without pain! (Don’t get me started on what I think of them now)

My point is that at one time she left the house carrying her gun. I didn’t go after her…. I sat on the couch and cried for hours until she came home. You might find that odd, but how could I a NONpain sufferer even start to say I could understand her pain? How could I be selfish and ask her not to go and stay here with me and suffer? She had to make that choice herself.

I think that if a person makes the choice that they can’t go on… we have no right to tell them they are wrong. I think that talking to others who suffer from Chronic pain you get to see the ugliness of life everyone prefers to forget. My mom talks about where she’ll go if she dies and I have to hold faith she’ll fight one more day.

I tell her that God has left her here to teach others and sometimes that makes her smile.

Don’t judge just because you don’t understand.

·
Very Thankful!
8,943 Posts
I did my 11th grade research paper on that subject.

I think it should be your own decision. I wouldn't want to sit there in pain waiting to die.. Just put me out of my misery.. Let me die when Im happy not in pain suffering.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts