DFW 'Stang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First off, this is an older house so it uses aluminum wiring in the house.

I upgraded my monitor to a 22inch (lcd) lastnight and noticed a electric noise after using a bit, I blew it off. Today I heard it again. Looked down and took the faceplate off the outlet and saw arcing (not constantly) so I flipped the breaker off and moved my connections to a different circuit, now it doesn't do it.

Problem I can see other than old wiring, is that it is on a 15a breaker.

T.v., electronics and my whole computer setup has always ran on it. Never tripped a breaker though which is odd. So just curious if it might have got hot once and some of the wire is bare so it's arcing? I haven't actually physically looked at the wires.

·
NOT the Oldest Fart HERE
4,427 Posts
aluminum wire

Aluminum wire has a problem with the connections getting loose. I bet it has a loose wirenut or a screw holding the wire on the socket is loose and arcing

·
Premium Member
4,984 Posts
ozzeran said:
Wouldn't it still do that even with my stuff not plugged in? Regardless I will check it though.
I don't think it would if there isn't anything plugged into the outlet now, wouldn't there have to me a "potential difference" to cause an arc?

·
Premium Member
6,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PeeWeeC5 said:
I don't think it would if there isn't anything plugged into the outlet now, wouldn't there have to me a "potential difference" to cause an arc?
What if I have other stuff plugged into the same circuit though?

The t.v. and other electronics in the house are on the same circuit, nto sure if that matters, only thing I unplugged was my computer shit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The problem with aluminum wiring is that it creates heat when it is under load therefore creating a shrink / swell condition. After so many years of this action it works the connection loose even under a wire nut. This is the cause of alot of electrical fires which is why aluminum was replaced years ago. So, you can kill the breaker, pull the plug out and take a pair of kleins and retwist it tight and re apply the wire nut. If the house is on pier and beam you can always use the aluminum wire as a fish tape and pull copper thru and delete the problem...

·
Premium Member
6,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I found the problem but for now I just terminated the wires with wire nuts for now.

I saw too much bare wire being exposed and I THINK they were arcing to each other. I could be wrong, i'm no electrical genius.

So here's a n00b question, on the 2 plug outlet, there are 2 wires per side of the outlet, does one side have 2 hots and the other 2 grounds?

·
Registered
3 Posts
electricians

Almost everything you own runs on electricity. We are here to keep your electricity on for you 24/7. Whether you have a new connection to add or a fuse that keeps on tripping. electricians

1 - 13 of 13 Posts