DFW Mustang Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
OLD SCHOOL crew
11,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I suck with electrical stuff...I NEVER mess with it. I want to hardwire a fuel pump in my fox. Should I wire it to the fuse box? What gauge and type of wire? Should I run a fuse in the line or a switch. Before the car is started, if the pump is on, the fuel is just going back through the return, correct?

·
OLD SCHOOL crew
11,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
surely someone has some advice...

·
Gunga galunga
7,450 Posts
You probably need to go to the fuse box on a circuit that turns on with the ignition. I would have a in-line fuse as close to the fuse box as possible. The guage of wire just depends on the amp. draw of the fuel pump and the length of wire you use. (I have no idea what that would be) But heavier wire won't hurt anything 12 guage wire with a 20 amp fuse?

Thats my $.02, there are a lot of people that know more than me about this.:D

Good Luck

P.S.I think i remeber seeing a diagram on how to wire an aux. fuel pump in a mustang for a SC install somewhere on the internet, so maybe check out some SC websites.

·
Registered
757 Posts
why do you want to hardwire a pump? got a blower or something. need a second pump? if you do, then wire it to the factory pump, install a 25 and inline fuse or curcuit breaker so that you dont overload the circuit.otherwise, if you have a bad intank pump, just replace it

·
OLD SCHOOL crew
11,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have always had weird issues with fuel pumps. The car had a 155 in it when I bought it. Sprayed quite a big dry shot with it and it ran well, didn't burn plugs etc.

It started making weird noises, bought a 190, burned it out in about 2 1/2 hours. Took it back got another one, burned out in about 30 seconds. Tried an old spare from a friend, burned it out in...15 seconds? Put the 155 in and had no big issues. Quit spraying at this point (motor had about 200K on it anyway)

The car acts like it runs out of gas after you drive for more than a couple hours. Pull over, sit for 10-15 minutes...drives for another couple hours.

People every where say the wires to the pump make 12 volts...mine makes 7.5 I dropped a friends tank and his made 7.5 as well.

I just want to know what burns these pumps out. I can't find anyhting visibly wrong with the wiring. It doesn't kill the 155. Hell that 155 prolly has 100k miles on it. A good 20k since the problems started with the pumps. I just figured I would run new wires and say screw it. Tired of buying fuel pumps.

·
IA2
22,150 Posts
Maybe your fuel pump relay is not %100 and you are getting an amperage/voltage loss across it? or a bad ground somewhere?

Seems to me like low amperage might be burning them up if the voltage is OK. And 7.5 doesn't sound right at all for the volts.

Electrical problems just suck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.