DFW Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many cfms' (or fan size)..do i need to run to keep my car cool..i dont have a/c and i have a 31*19 summit aluminum radiator? i live in a very hot region of south texas..any suggestion??

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
get a good one.I went to electric on my 91 gt and ended up going back to stock because its get so damned hot and the electric wasn't enough

·
Registered
168 Posts
You need to make sure that you get one w/ a shroud that will cover pretty much the entire surface area of the finned area on the radiator. The ones from Autozone that are like 14" to 16" will not do the trick!!:D

·
Registered
165 Posts
i've had the flexalite 5.0 fan for over a year, and had no problems with keeping the car cool. of course, i've also got a huge ass radiator and a hi-flow water pump. if you do get an electric fan i suggest you get a bigger alternator. eveytime my fan kicks on, my lights dim and i've gotta 100 amp alternator:rolleyes:

·
Gunga galunga
7,544 Posts
I use an electric fan off of a 90' V6 Taurus. It keeps my car plenty cool in the middle of summer with the AC blowing and stuck in traffic...It has a high and low input and I run it on low about 10 months of the year...This is on a black auto coupe with a 3 core brass cooper radiator. I would recomend getting fan off of a Lincoln Mark VIII, Late 80's early 90's V6 Tarus, Or a 94' up V8 mustang...These are basically the same fan with slightly different shroud designs. You'll have to do some triming on all of these and you will need to have a 130amp alternator. These flow huge ammounts of air but a lot of amps too. Origianlly I had a 16" Flex a lite fan, but it didn't cut it, especially wit the AC...I paid $110 for the flex a lite, and I got this one from a salvage yard with a 60 day return for $30.. do it right the first time, it sucks doing it twice and driving around in august without AC...The mark VIII fans are a really popular choice but are hard to find and are more expensive, the others are more common and less expensive...

If you're running a 31" radiator you only have about a 25" wide core so what ever fan you find needs to fit that...As mentioned above it is more important to find something that covers as much surface area of the core as possible, that is more important than the CFM rating...

I do prefer the reliablity of a mechanical fan, but its nice being able to cool down quickly while sitting in the pits...

Mark VIII install

good luck, hope this helps

·
Out with your mom
2,508 Posts
If you want to do this for the least expensive way, here's what I'd do...

LS1 Camaro/Firebird fans. These can be picked up for less than $100 for the pair and pull some crazy airflow. They are about 26-28" wide from my memory. Dual 12" fans pull about 25A at full load.

Flex-A-Lite VSC controller. Variable speed is much, much better on the charging system. Soft starts at 60% power and speeds up as coolant temp goes up. Also come on at 60% power when A/C is flipped on. I paid about $55 for this.

Get at least a 130A alt. Go 160A+ if you run under drive pulleys too. No way a 100A will keep up at idle let alone that low output 65A unit. A 130A unit should be about $100-130. [email protected] off Davis and Loop 12 sell good alt's for cheap.

I have that setup on both trucks listed in my sig... both have gone through two summers in Texas and kept temps fine. It's a great inexpensive setup that's effective.

Hope that helps some

·
"To Punish and Enslave.."
1,014 Posts
I have a Black Magic electric fan with an aluminum radiator. The fan is rated at 2800 CFM. I have no cooling problems. The Taurus fan pulls about 3100 CFM but requires beefed up wiring if you have a foxbody. You might also add some water wetter. It improves cooling by 15-20 percent.

·
Gunga galunga
7,544 Posts
I second Alterstart, they sell good stuff...I picked up their 160amp unit as well and zero charging problems what so ever...:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts