DFW Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
¯\(º_o)/¯
25,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a star falls in pasts its own event horizon, where does it go? I've read a couple of sites that claim the star gets to a point of zero volume and infinite density, or a singularity. Supposedly, the 'big bang' was caused by a singularity. Do you think that if one were to be able to pass through an event horizon without getting crushed, that it would reach into another universe?

This stuff is confusing yet very intresting. Good sites or information is wanted, I've got another full day of no work at work.

·
The Janitor
16,424 Posts
AbecX said:
After a star falls in pasts its own event horizon, where does it go? I've read a couple of sites that claim the star gets to a point of zero volume and infinite density, or a singularity. Supposedly, the 'big bang' was caused by a singularity. Do you think that if one were to be able to pass through an event horizon without getting crushed, that it would reach into another universe?

This stuff is confusing yet very intresting. Good sites or information is wanted, I've got another full day of no work at work.
One new theory is the center of our galaxy is a massive, i mean MASSIVE black hole. Jesus christ, talk about depressing on a cosmic scale.

I think it is interesting that physics gets thrown out the window when it comes to black holes, space/time relations have no meaning in that environment.

·
7,214 Posts
AbecX said:

Those things are very cool, its all very interesting.....

·
Out
41,944 Posts
A star, or anything for that matter, cannot fall through an event horizon without being totally destroyed, so that kills your theory...

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Nothing gets off the Event Horizon. She won't let you leave.

·
None
12,675 Posts
Scientists and Science Fiction writers have been looking for answers to that question for years.

It doesn't really go anywhere. The electrons left over from a star's inward collapse are affected by an leftover/inward gravity that I don't fully understand myself. Only beyond a certain point though does this inward gravity pull the electroins into a desity which is the singularity.

I also think a BH involves more than just gravity. As the density and gravity combined into the singularity, I think it warps space and time altogether. I'm reading Stephen Hawkings "A Brief History of Time : From big bang to black holes" and it's a real mind worker. Quantum astrophysics is not something to be played with lightly :)

·
¯\(º_o)/¯
25,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What the fuck is the internet.

·
98 SVT Cobra
5,109 Posts
What is weird though, is that the Black Hole that they have been talking about in the news the last few day is heading straight for Earth! :eek:

·
¯\(º_o)/¯
25,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MoonDog said:
What is weird though, is that the Black Hole that they have been talking about in the news the last few day is heading straight for Earth! :eek:
Thats old news, SVTVenom's ship landed here ( albiet upside down ) like three weeks ago.

·
None
12,675 Posts
MoonDog said:
:confused:

The only thing in the news about black holes is the two that are going to merge 400 million lightyears away in about a few hundred million years.
http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/space/11/19/blackhole.merger.ap/index.html

Besides, black holes don't 'move' towards things. Things move TOWARDS the black hole. That whole infinite gravity light can't escape attribute.

·
The Janitor
16,424 Posts
Chris98GT said:
:confused:

The only thing in the news about black holes is the two that are going to merge 400 million lightyears away in about a few hundred million years.
http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/space/11/19/blackhole.merger.ap/index.html

Besides, black holes don't 'move' towards things. Things move TOWARDS the black hole. That whole infinite gravity light can't escape attribute.
speaking OF which, is light a "wave" or a "particle" , as it exibits qualities of both, for instance it can curve around a bend, which a particle cant do, but a wave can, and so on. If light is in terms affected by gravity, would that mean all energy forms are subject to its pull? I need to study some physics on this.:mad:

Chris, is the book a good read? Sounds interesting, i always like topics like that.

·
Crash Test Dummy
21,966 Posts
There's not much I can say. I've dated a couple during my life time, but,.............(oh, wait)

·
¯\(º_o)/¯
25,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
bahahaha!!!!!

·
None
12,675 Posts
32VfromHell said:
speaking OF which, is light a "wave" or a "particle" , as it exibits qualities of both, for instance it can curve around a bend, which a particle cant do, but a wave can, and so on. If light is in terms affected by gravity, would that mean all energy forms are subject to its pull? I need to study some physics on this.:mad:

Chris, is the book a good read? Sounds interesting, i always like topics like that.
Yes, it's a very good read.

Newton favored the theory that light was a particle, but when considering light in the viewpoint of quantum mechanics it can exist as both a wave and a particle.

·
¯\(º_o)/¯
25,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
SLP007 said:
Kinda off topic but whats the speed of light.......:confused:
299,792,458 meters per second
300,000 kilometers per second
186,000 miles per second
1 DavidZ28 on spray.

·
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!
13,296 Posts
from what i remember.. if an object travels past the event horizon(basicaly the point where the true darkness starts as the gravity is to strong for light to be present it " dissapears".
as to where it goes.. dont know. I have read speculation that is Black holes are "worm holes" and that it pops out somewhere else in the universe. Or for those of use who believe in the multiverse theory.. maybe it "appears" in another universe.
who knows.

·
The Janitor
16,424 Posts
SLP007 said:
Kinda off topic but whats the speed of light.......:confused:
scientists have accellerated (sp?) particles up to like the billionth shy of light speed, which is cool. Also scientists have created the PERFECT bearing......it is frictionless, it can spin FOREVER. Sweet! Now just finding how to apply that to the real world and we can see 60k redlines in our cars ( if an ignition system can handle it, or when the motor simply cant draw any more air)

·
7,214 Posts
AbecX said:
299,792,458 meters per second
300,000 kilometers per second
186,000 miles per second
1 DavidZ28 on spray.
186,000miles x 60seconds = 11,160,000miles per minute x 60minutes = 669,600,000miles per hour:eek:

·
7,214 Posts
32VfromHell said:
we can see 60k redlines in our cars ( if an ignition system can handle it, or when the motor simply cant draw any more air)
Sweet! I bet that would sound cool. Even crazier explosions too:)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts