DFW Mustang Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, after waiting 20 mins for the software to install, i plug my camera in thru usb like its supposed to, turn the cam on (canon powershot a40 btw) and switch the dial to "replay" (what it tells you to switch it to so you can download pix to the pc) and it tells me it cant find the camera. it pops up a box that says this: "no camera detected, there may be a problem with the camera communication settings or the camera is not ready" so i hit ok and it pops up another little box with a 2 pull down tabs, the one at the top says "port type: "usb" and below it in the tab it says "IEEE1394" and twords the bottom it says: detected camera models: Powershot A40. so wtf....the pc see's the camera but they cant communicate. any help would be GREATLY appreciated, i took some good shots today and i'd like to be able to upload them to my site :(

also: the software is Canon ZoomBrowser EX.

HELP! :)

·
98 SVT Cobra
5,088 Posts
What OS are you running? Did you try rebooting?

·
Premium Member
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
98se and i've rebooted this slug 4 or 5 times because i've uninstalled and reinstalled this shit 4 times

·
Premium Member
3,153 Posts
Go get a USB memory card reader for $25. I have heard all kinds of stories of people having problems like that. The reader doesnt require a driver and it shows up like a hard drive. It works awesome.

-Chris

·
Custom Title
16,584 Posts
Not exactley sure, but the second window seems like it may be asking you how it is connected, or how to connect it? If I recall, the ieeee port is a firewire port, not USB. There may be some setting somewhere in the software you have to tell it the camera will be connected via USB?
If not, the card reader is a great way to go, easy, and it will help save the camera battery life.
Try and do a printscreen capture of the error message and post it up too.
Also, if you go into My Computer when the camera is attached, do you see anything new, like another drive letter? I know on my XP system it sees my printer memory card slot as a drive letter.

·
Premium Member
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cool i think i'll get that card reader, thanx for the tips :)

·
Premium Member
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok this thing is still givin me shit, winblows cant find the driver for the card reader now :mad: picked up a memorex compactflash reader at office depot.

·
Custom Title
16,584 Posts
FatassLX said:
ok this thing is still givin me shit, winblows cant find the driver for the card reader now :mad: picked up a memorex compactflash reader at office depot.
Did it come with software drivers? If not, you'll ned to go to the memorex website and download them. Also make sure it says it is compatible with Win 98 SE, I had one from my Win 98SE system, but the stupid thing would not work on XP. New driver said XP was not supported, so I bought a new reader for XP.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
When you were plugging in your camera into the USB port, was it on the computers USB port or through a USB hub? Also, is your version of windows 98 SE?

·
Rolling with the homies
31,056 Posts
Do you know if you have ever gotten any USB devices to work on this computer?

·
Premium Member
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah i've had various usb devides on this cpu before and they all worked fine. yeah its for 98se, and im going thru the usb port (no hub). the card reader came with a cd, installed it, said to remove the cd after install was complete and reboot for windows to finish loading the drivers but it didnt find the driver so i uninstalled the software and went to memorex' website and downloaded the software from them and its still not working. im ready to switch back to my 20 dollar walmart digi cam :mad: it never gave me problems like this.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
It looks like you have a driver compatibility issue, what software are you using to sync up the camera?

·
Premium Member
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i was using Canon ZoomBrowser EX. (shit that came with the camera). refresh my memory on doing a screen capture...i'll snag a pic of what windows is saying about the card reader driver.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Hit the Print screen button and then paste it into a word or wordpad document.

·
Premium Member
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Premium Member
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Custom Title
16,584 Posts
FatassLX said:
the card reader came with a cd, installed it, said to remove the cd after install was complete and reboot for windows to finish loading the drivers but it didnt find the driver so i uninstalled the software and went to memorex' website and downloaded the software from them and its still not working.
I had similar problems before after removing the CD. I got around it by removing the driver/hardware/device from windows. Reboot the computer after everything is uninstalled and the reader is NOT attached.
Reboot with the card reader attached and let windows say New Hardware found. Insert the CD and cancel out of it's install program if it starts up. When it gets to where it asks for a driver, tell it to search the CD, and browse untill you find the file it is looking for. I don't remember which device I had this problem with, but I went round and round with it for a while before this finally worked.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.