DFW 'Stang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Married Man on 14Feb2010
14,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Florida hospital is going to remove the feeding and hydration tube from Terri Schiavo today. She should die from dehydration in 10-14 days. Terri's heart beats on it own, she breaths on her own.

Here is a video of the woman her husband says is in a coma. Right click/ save as -> Linky

A conscious person would feel it [dehydration] just as you or I would. They will go into seizures. Their skin cracks, their tongue cracks, their lips crack. They may have nosebleeds because of the drying of the mucus membranes, and heaving and vomiting might ensue because of the drying out of the stomach lining. They feel the pangs of hunger and thirst. Imagine going one day without a glass of water! Death by dehydration takes ten to fourteen days. It is an extremely agonizing death.

·
No Cerveza... No Trabajo
21,924 Posts
Congress is good for something!

**Exclusive Fri Mar 18 2005 00:50:07 ET** The Chairman of the Health, Education, Labor, and Pension (HELP) Committee, Mike Enzi (R-Wyoming) has requested Terri Schiavo to testify before his congressional committee, the DRUDGE REPORT has learned. In so doing it triggers legal or statutory protections for the witness, among those protections is that nothing can be done to cause harm or death to this individual.

Members of Congress went to the U.S. Attorney in DC to ask for a temporary restraining order to be issued by a judge, which protects Terri Schiavo from having her life support, including her feeding and hydration tubes, removed... Developing...

·
Blue5spd's a titty baby
13,472 Posts
I'd want the feeding tube to be removed from me if I were in that state. I also wouldn't want my friends and family to have to take care of me, and to have to see me like that.

·
The first, the original
7,397 Posts
I was listening to a news story this morning about that. I was under the impression, and I'm sure most people were as well, that she was in a vegetative comatose state unable to eat or breath. Turns out her husband has adamantly refused her treatment for 13 years. At one point he even threatened a nurse who tried to place a cold washcloth in the lady's hand to help keep her hand from becoming unusable.
They interviewed her doctor. The doctor said he has many patients in much worse condition that he has been able to help rehabilitate. Some of them are now able to communicate and do things they would never have been able to do with out rehab. This doctor was a Nobel nominee and is renowned for his treatment results.
I understand the whole circumstances about how the lady got in this condition is questionable. In the mean time her husband has been living with another woman for a few years and has two children by her. Something is very fishy about his behavior.
Personally I say he has something to do with her current state and that he's afraid that if she were to get to a point to communicate, she might tell authorities that he is the reason for her condition. Possible abuse? Otherwise, why doesn't he just divorce her and let her family take over her care? Granted it would be a cowardly thing for him to do, but at least those that love her and want to care for her could.
Death by dehydration/starvation is not pretty. At the root of all of this is the question: What gives the government the right to decide if someone innocent of any crimes is worthy of life even though it may be a burden on another?
Personnaly I’d rather see my tax dollars go to help someone who is innocent and loved and cared for by their family than housing some damn worthless murderer serving life on death row. We're taking care of the wrong people. :mad:

·
1,766 Posts
I heard on the radio this morning that the womans family has offered the husband 1 million dollars to just get out of the picture in the past. His arguement is that his wife always told him that if she ever was in a condition like that, that she would want to die, and not just wither away...

the shit is sad regardless

·
Married Man on 14Feb2010
14,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cool cat said:
I'd want the feeding tube to be removed from me if I were in that state. I also wouldn't want my friends and family to have to take care of me, and to have to see me like that.
You should state that opinion now, so your family knows.

Terri collapsed from unknown causes in 1990. She had suffered a severe brain injury. Her husband Michael, felt very concerned for her welfare and, on her behalf, brought a medical malpractice case seeking damages so that he could care for his beloved wife. During the malpractice suite, Michael demonstrated his love for Terri by stating "I believe in the vows I took with my wife, through sickness, in health, for richer or poor. I married my wife because I love her and I want to spend the rest of my life with her. I'm going to do that." The jury were touched by Michael's public outpouring of love for Terri and awarded approximately $1.3 million in damages. Approximately $750,000 was set aside to pay for her rehabilitation and care.
Michael Schiavo wanted money to take care Terri for the rest of his life, but now that he has the money and a new honey he wants to off his ex to get the money.

·
GROWED UP WRONG
7,413 Posts
TexasDevilDog said:
Michael Schiavo wanted money to take care Terri for the rest of his life, but now that he has the money and a new honey he wants to off his ex to get the money.
The family offered him a million to just walk away, and he turned it down.
Even if the do rehabilitate her, she will never live a normal life. I would want that shit removed, that is no life to live.

·
Full tilt boogie !!
10,207 Posts
This is sad. My uncle died a few weeks ago. He had his second stroke, which paralyzed his left side and cause his brain to swell against his cranium, which caused him to slip into a coma. He was in a coma for 3-4 weeks and the doctors said that he would never recover. They sent him to hotchis ( spelling) and disconnect feeding tubes and water, etc.... i went to see him 6 days before he died and he was pretty much non responsive, but he would ocassionally open his eyes and sqeeze your hand.

Its one of the sadest things I have ever seen, I didnt think it was right to let him die like that, but according to my Aunt, his daughter, this is the way he wanted it.

It still seems like a cruel way to let someone die, I think that if the decision is made to take someone off of life support, you ought to be able to go ahead and give an injection or something to speed the process up instead of letting them just die and assumming that they are not suffering even though they are non responsive. I mean who's to say whats going on in the brain.

Hell, I can have my dog put to sleep if the vet says he wont recover and is just gonna suffer.

my .02 cents:(

·
Married Man on 14Feb2010
14,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
trigen said:
I would want that shit removed, that is no life to live.
Then you should state to your family that if you can't swallow food or water that you want to be offed.

·
Married Man on 14Feb2010
14,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A delay in the starving of Terri has happened.

Pinellas Circuit Court Chief Judge David Demers ordered that the feeding tube remain in place past a 1 p.m. deadline while fellow Judge George Greer, who is presiding over the Schiavo case, deals with conflicting legal issues.

The delay came after U.S. Senate and House committees in the Republican-controlled Congress issued subpoenas for Schiavo, her husband, Michael Schiavo, and her caregivers to appear at hearings on March 25 and March 28 which would in effect keep her alive for the time being.

·
GROWED UP WRONG
7,413 Posts
TexasDevilDog said:
Then you should state to your family that if you can't swallow food or water that you want to be offed.
May be best to put it in writing.
Guess that is one of those things, being young you dont think about....

·
Banned
2,483 Posts
Thats a loose loose situation. hope to god I never get put in a situation like that..

I had a living will done long ago..

·
Mrs. Lariviere
1,616 Posts
Txstang1 said:
This is sad. My uncle died a few weeks ago. He had his second stroke, which paralyzed his left side and cause his brain to swell against his cranium, which caused him to slip into a coma. He was in a coma for 3-4 weeks and the doctors said that he would never recover. They sent him to hotchis ( spelling) and disconnect feeding tubes and water, etc.... i went to see him 6 days before he died and he was pretty much non responsive, but he would ocassionally open his eyes and sqeeze your hand.

Its one of the sadest things I have ever seen, I didnt think it was right to let him die like that, but according to my Aunt, his daughter, this is the way he wanted it.

It still seems like a cruel way to let someone die, I think that if the decision is made to take someone off of life support, you ought to be able to go ahead and give an injection or something to speed the process up instead of letting them just die and assumming that they are not suffering even though they are non responsive. I mean who's to say whats going on in the brain.

Hell, I can have my dog put to sleep if the vet says he wont recover and is just gonna suffer.

my .02 cents:(
I just wrote a paper over this in my Nursing Theory class. With the research i have done, i still don't understand the medical profession completely. According to the American Nurses Association you can withhold live saving treatments and meds even if it knowingly causes death. BUT, nurses are never allowed to euthanize someone who requests it? I think it's so F'ed up that these people are going to let the poor woman starve to death.

I think they should let Mr. Schaivo (sp?) starve right along with her.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts