DFW Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I KNOW Im missing the obvious here, but Id rather ask than assume. Anyway, I have a little coolant along the bottom front of the lower intake. Where exactly is this running from? Like I said, I know Im missing the obvious, but if anyone could explain where its most likely comming from Id really appreciate it. Thanks.

·
IA2
22,413 Posts
I had a leak like that that I couldn't find for anything. Turned out that the thermostat housing bolts were bottoming out in the intake right as they started to pull the housing down and it would seal until the engine was WOT.

I found this on Sean Frease's dyno when my 302 started gushing like old faithful right around 4500 rpm LOL....

·
Premium Member
6,070 Posts
The easiest way to tell is to go to Autozone and rent a pressure tester. Hook it to the radiator cap and pressure the system. It should start leaking out and you can pin point the leak. The only bad part is that it is $80 to rent. When you bring it back you get that back though.

·
Fear the lawn gnome
4,535 Posts
i had one of those and thaught it was the intake turned out to be where the timing cover meet's the block.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I'll give it a closer look tomorow after driving it. SleeperLS, I was wondering if it could be coming from the timing cover. The coolant was showing up on the same spot on yours? How bad was it to fix?

·
heavy weight
267 Posts
a cheaper tool

take a bicycle tube cut it allittle longer than top rad hose ,make sure you use the part that has the fill valve , install in the rad hose place with hose clamps . then pump up the bicycle tube . if you can't see a leak spray soapy water on the engine out of a spray bottle , the leak will bubble . you can use a bicycle tire pump too air it up if you don't have a tank or compreesor.
ken

·
Fear the lawn gnome
4,535 Posts
not hard threw some bars leack in it haha. i was lazy and didnt have the time to mess with it. put a new raditor in the other day and still hasnt started leaking again yet. and it would puddle up on the little vally of the timing cover and then go over the side i found mine when i took the ther housing off cause i thaught it was that. good luck

·
Registered
803 Posts
i had the same problem this weekend and found that my water pump wasent tight. I installed a new one this past summer and i figured that now that it is getting cold that the metal was expanding when hot but as soon as it cooled off i would have a huge puddle under my car. good luck.
chris

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help. I looked at it earlier and it didnt look as bad. When I have more time I'll run on it a little and see.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts