DFW Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Professional Driver
6,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... coming out of the exhaust - That is still a bad thing, right? :(

The oil in the pan is still clean so I'm guessing cracked head.:banghead:

Anyone have a Dart block 347 laying around they want to donate to a good cause?

·
Narcissistic fade away
17,504 Posts
No!

Check the turbine - take the downpipe off and look in there. If it were a cracked head, or engine problem - it should be running bad too.

Sounds like you have a turbine seal shit out, and it's mixing some oil with the condensation in the exhaust.

·
I got your Jihad!!
3,492 Posts
Or a blown head gasket between the cylinders near a water jacket. The oil will look milky if this is the case.

·
Professional Driver
6,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No!

Check the turbine - take the downpipe off and look in there. If it were a cracked head, or engine problem - it should be running bad too.

Sounds like you have a turbine seal shit out, and it's mixing some oil with the condensation in the exhaust.
It ran fine for a 1/4 mile or so, then started sputtering. It died and I had to jump it to make it crank. When it did turn over it pumped coolant and oil out of the downpipe.

The engine was of unknown history and probably would have been fine N/A - but the little bit of boost<5-7psi> ate it up. :)

It ran really good right before it died. Those new 285/18's were the only source of smoke... at first!

Now, from what I can tell so far, the bottom end is OK. There were no knocking noises from underneath. And since I don't have several thousand dollars to throw at this car right away, I am going to grab a set of aluminum heads and a TFS-R intake to bolt on this short block.

Anybody have a free set of TF's or AFR's laying around to donate?? :D

Or at least a recommendation as to which heads to go with?

·
WRECKIN' BALL BITCHES!
9,734 Posts
TFS are great for a combo like yours...youll make way more power than the block will want to handle :)

·
Professional Driver
6,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looking at some Track Heat 190's. There's a ton of variables in the TFS catalog, any pros/cons to these over any other heads?

Keep in mind that if I keep the car it'll end up with a turbo'd 347.

·
WRECKIN' BALL BITCHES!
9,734 Posts
Looking at some Track Heat 190's. There's a ton of variables in the TFS catalog, any pros/cons to these over any other heads?

Keep in mind that if I keep the car it'll end up with a turbo'd 347.
I ran a set of track heat 190s on my last setup, i was very happy. It all depends on your goals. It is a great head though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts