DFW Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I am cooking for about 6-8 people tonight for the football game. I am in the process of making the chili right now and now that I'm looking at it, it seems that 2 lbs of meat might not be enough. I am gonna add pinto beans later on, but what are some other ideas I can throw in the chili? I was thinking about some corn.

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
post whores beat it! This is for the cooking people! And a fairly legit question.

·
aka The Cougar
16,782 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I need to go to the store and get some Rotel, but I actually was contemplating the tomatos

There is no debate-BEANS, baby!

LMAO! My students just looked at me like I'm crazy-I busted out laughing. WELL PLAYED! :p

To the OP, I always put diced tomatoes, kidney beans, corn, onions and anything else I can find. :saroll:

·
aka The Cougar
16,782 Posts
Yeah I need to go to the store and get some Rotel, but I actually was contemplating the tomatos
I always used Rotel before Chili and I got together, but he's a wuss so I have to use plain diced tomatoes now. :p

·
Gone but never forgotten
16,950 Posts

the rotel might put off a funky taste to it, depending on your preferences. I'd go with a can of stewed tomotos .. the small pieces, not the ones with the big fucking chunks.

In the chili I usually prepare, I use 2-3 lbs of ground meat, an entire 1 lb bag of pinto beans slowly cooked all day long separately, then added with the rest of the chili fixins' a couple of hours before dinner time. Red pepper, chili pepper, finely chopped onions, chopped stewed tomatoes, garlic, paprika, oregano, masa (to thicken it up), salt/pepper, and a few dashes of tobasco :)

·
Punk Ass Newbie
4,554 Posts
I always used Rotel before Chili and I got together, but he's a wuss so I have to use plain diced tomatoes now. :p

I use both.

2 lbs should be enough. Have a couple of bags of Fritos and shred some cheddar cheese. Those who use the Fritos will use less chili.

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
WOW this stuff smells awesome! Cant wait for the game to start so we can grub! I dont know who I want to win either since I really hate both teams. This is gonna be a good night though.

·
Num say'n? (tm)
5,702 Posts
1-Beans, like screwdrivers and motor oil, have NO place in chili. However, of all the adulterants you could add, beans are probably the least offensive.

2-Corn. Have you lost your damn mind?

3-Chocolate (aka Cincinnati chili). See #2 above.

·
HERE WE GO STEELERS
18,683 Posts
1-Beans, like screwdrivers and motor oil, have NO place in chili. However, of all the adulterants you could add, beans are probably the least offensive.

2-Corn. Have you lost your damn mind?

3-Chocolate (aka Cincinnati chili). See #2 above.
Cincinnati chili uses cinnamon and allspice, which gives it that unique taste. Cocoa powder or, what I use, instant coffee, adds a nice depth and richness to your standard bowl of chili.

Today is a good day to make a pot of it, but I just made some roasted red pepper soup for lunch, so I'll be eating that for the next couple of days.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts