DFW 'Stang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help/advice on a 5 lug conversion I want to do on my fox. I keep reading and hearing many different ways to do this. Lookin for the cheapest way to do this instead of purchasing the actual kit. Does anyone know what kind of rotors I can use on the front? If i'm not mistaken thats the only thing i change on the front. I've been told to use 84-86 SVO, Lincoln Mark VII, or 88-92 ranger rotors. If anyone has ever done this on their own car I'd appreciate some advice. Thanks!

B

·
0 Posts
on our 1993 coupe we just swapped the suspension off of our 84 SVO onto it...
Easy as can be :)

·
Premium Member
6,783 Posts
xXone9nine3Xx said:
I need some help/advice on a 5 lug conversion I want to do on my fox. I keep reading and hearing many different ways to do this. Lookin for the cheapest way to do this instead of purchasing the actual kit. Does anyone know what kind of rotors I can use on the front? If i'm not mistaken thats the only thing i change on the front. I've been told to use 84-86 SVO, Lincoln Mark VII, or 88-92 ranger rotors. If anyone has ever done this on their own car I'd appreciate some advice. Thanks!
on the back you will need to use two RHIGHT hand side axles and the drums off of a late 80's early 90's ranger. On the front you can use late 80's MARK VII rotors. Its real easy that way.

·
Registered
667 Posts
coley said:
on the back you will need to use two RHIGHT hand side axles and the drums off of a late 80's early 90's ranger. On the front you can use late 80's MARK VII rotors. Its real easy that way.
hmmmm....same goes with the aerostar axles too i assume? that's what i'm using....i guess the rotors can't be used either....so i'm pretty much looking at one axle off this whole thing?

Didn't mean to jump on your thread...it's just i came upon the entire drivetrain of an aerostar for free and was wondering what i could actually use....

·
Premium Member
6,783 Posts
WhiteLX5.0 said:
hmmmm....same goes with the aerostar axles too i assume? that's what i'm using....i guess the rotors can't be used either....so i'm pretty much looking at one axle off this whole thing?

Didn't mean to jump on your thread...it's just i came upon the entire drivetrain of an aerostar for free and was wondering what i could actually use....
I am not sure about the aerostar axles, I never heard of anyone using them. Most aerostars came with 8.8 with 3:55's. The rotors on the aerostar will not work either.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have one more question...will the lincoln rotors clear a 15X3.5 pro star? The guy at autozone was telling me that the lincoln rotors are like 13" and it may not clear certain wheels. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,783 Posts
xXone9nine3Xx said:
I have one more question...will the lincoln rotors clear a 15X3.5 pro star? The guy at autozone was telling me that the lincoln rotors are like 13" and it may not clear certain wheels. Thanks.
the guy at the zone is an idiot, why do you think he works there. lol

The rotor is about 10.9 inches, the same size as a stock gt rotor.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
coley said:
the guy at the zone is an idiot, why do you think he works there. lol

The rotor is about 10.9 inches, the same size as a stock gt rotor.
HaHa, alright. Thanks for the help and input everyone!

·
Registered
667 Posts
93hatch said:
Aerostar Axles Work Fine, I Bought Mine With Drums At Pick N Pull $25 All You Can Carry!
i figured the axles would work fine...just couldn't remember....not surprised about the rotors, though...thanks for the info btw. :cool:

·
Arbeit Macht Frei
19,759 Posts
DatDude said:
Yes

Good link!

Read this for more info, but this is the info on aerostar/ranger axles
"To keep the stock rear wheel offset and drums, the '83-'92 Ranger/Bronco II Left (driver) side axle (29-5/32") from a 4cyl or 3.0L V-6 with the 7.5" rear end, or '86-'97 Aerostar RIGHT side axles (29-5/32") is what you want. They are the same rear axles, the center section is just on the opposite side when you compare the rear ends. The pumpkins are also off center unlike the Mustangs, so you will have to find two vehicles to pull axles from! You will need the drums from either of these vehicles also if you are staying with rear 9" drums. The 7.5 axle Rangers & Aerostars use 9" drums. These parts are direct 5 lug replacements for the stock 9" rear drums on the 79-93 Mustangs.

*Important: Don't get the axles and drums from a Ranger with the 4.0L engine, as they use 10" rear drums with a wider 8.8" axle (unless you want to convert to larger drums!). The 8.8 in the Explorer is 1" wider per side than the Ranger/Aerostars with the 7.5" axle. "

·
Old school 4-eye'd
6,714 Posts
joezgarage said:
50resto has a complete kit for $399. Doesn't get a lot cheaper than that.
5 lug Svo front rotors.....$50ea
2 studs......................$1.25
two axles and drums at PIck and Pull..$25
Doing a 5lug convertion for under $200...priceless

1 - 15 of 15 Posts