DFW Mustang Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Premium Member
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thinking of doing this in my living room once the carpet wears out. Something different other then tile or wood flooring.

Anyone know of anyone with this in their home? Wouldn’t have to worry about scratches like with wood.

· Banned
23,622 Posts
It's been my experience that the older the slab, the worse it looks when completed.

Ideally, you want to do this when it's a fresh new slab.

Pay attention to the types of stain and waxes. I'm sure Hecdoggie can clarify, but whatever we used up here at work, SUCKS! It has to be stripped/waxed every other month due to scratches, etc.

· Premium Member
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's been my experience that the older the slab, the worse it looks when completed.

Ideally, you want to do this when it's a fresh new slab.

Pay attention to the types of stain and waxes. I'm sure Hecdoggie can clarify, but whatever we used up here at work, SUCKS! It has to be stripped/waxed every other month due to scratches, etc.

New slab. House is only a year old. Would think of doing this in the next year or two…

· Premium Member
18,372 Posts
Just know that every little crack and flaw will show up. I've done this in some of my new homes and the folks really like it, but they knew up front that there would be flaws and cracks, even with a new slab. Also know that it still requires some retouch after years of traffic, especially in the high traffic areas.

· i need a hairdryer!!!!
3,386 Posts
If your just staining. Do it yourself. It's not that hard. Etching the entire floor first, will help the process alot.
:)
This statement is good advise IF you are using a water based stain. If you are using an ACID based stain you don't need to. You MIGHT want to grind/sand the top surface of the concrete to open up the pores.

· Premium Member
1,665 Posts
The sealant is not impervious to scratching as we had some furniture peel the sealer right off. Requires the use of mineral spirits to loosen and then reseal.

You must wax the high traffic areas with hard as rock wax

You cannot use soap or ammonia to wash the floor only hot water

It looks awesome with more blemishes

If you have any type of chemical on the floor already like glue, paint, tape, sealer you must mechanically remove it or the stain wont react wit hthe concrete.
If you take off to much of the cream coat off the stain will not penetrate the substrate.

Do it Yourself it is not hard and looks good. Just have plastic and a sprayer with no metal parts in it. The chemicals are cheap and if you do not like it just carpet or tile over it.

Only use a 1/8" line if you are making a any scores.

We did Basket weave in our Study with two colors, a Compass rose in our entry with two colors, a border design in our dining room that matched the triple tray ceiling and then 18" tiles in the family room and kitchen. In our bedroom we did a tortoise color with no designs and that has the most flaws and looks the best.

Good luck and if you want to take a look feel free to PM.

Come spring I will be doing our back patio.
Raymond

· Notorious PIG
1,591 Posts
Yeah I did this to my old house after 6 years. Cracks, Tack strip ect act will all be there but after its done you will never notice it. Everything is louder after you do it. If you ever get a cricket in the house it will make you hunt it down. Your doors and edging will have a way bigger crack under them. The edging they sell stuff to add to it to fill in the seam. The door you just have to deal with. When someone flips on a light in the other room it will be way more noticeable. Also cold and harder on the feet then anything else. As stated above anywhere chairs or funiture meets the floor it will wear away the surface and stain some unless you reaply sealant every now and then. It adds character and doesnt look bad either way. You can take a saw and cut fine lines in it to look like ceramic tile. I had them trim out my doorway with like a black 3 inch sqaure and did the entry a different color. Cheaper then any alternative except carpet. Oh if you have kids they may be succeptable to head injuries. LOL I did not. I lived with them for 4 years and really like them. I did mine because I had a 160 gallon aquarium pop on me. After that if any thing leaked or the dog tracked in mud I just grabbed the mop or big broom and sweped it up.

· Notorious PIG
1,591 Posts
Oh yeah you can go to home depot and load up on felt strips. Apply to all furniture, stands, planters, whatever touches the ground and it will take care of the maintanance. I had rollers on my chairs in the kitchen and this was my only problem area. Heck if you felt the bottom of a 140 Gallon aquarium you can actually slide it around when full. HEHEEHE

· Registered
10 Posts
The sealant is not impervious to scratching as we had some furniture peel the sealer right off. Requires the use of mineral spirits to loosen and then reseal.

You must wax the high traffic areas with hard as rock wax

You cannot use soap or ammonia to wash the floor only hot water

It looks awesome with more blemishes

If you have any type of chemical on the floor already like glue, paint, tape, sealer you must mechanically remove it or the stain wont react wit hthe concrete.
If you take off to much of the cream coat off the stain will not penetrate the substrate.

Do it Yourself it is not hard and looks good. Just have plastic and a sprayer with no metal parts in it. The chemicals are cheap and if you do not like it just carpet or tile over it.

Only use a 1/8" line if you are making a any scores.

We did Basket weave in our Study with two colors, a Compass rose in our entry with two colors, a border design in our dining room that matched the triple tray ceiling and then 18" tiles in the family room and kitchen concrete sealing tampa. In our bedroom we did a tortoise color with no designs and that has the most flaws and looks the best.

Good luck and if you want to take a look feel free to PM.

Come spring I will be doing our back patio.
Raymond
Hello. We have this big room addition- about 15'x15' and the flooring is concrete covered by light colored carpet, and it's TRASHED! The rest of the house is hard wood floors. I was thinking of pulling up the carpet and doing a concrete sealing boston. We've never done this before, and I was wondering about time, money, and level of difficulty to achieve something like these below:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts