DFW Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Out with your mom
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may know, I get angry at computers pretty easy (stupid POS boxes of shit) anyway... how do I run two harddrives at once? :confused:

I have one that's got lots of info I want to transfer to my main HD. I have the second selected as the 'Slave' (hahahaha) and the main as the 'Master' (someone musta had a sick S&M fetish). I even moved the jumpers on the 'Slave' too with no avail.

If it makes a diff, the 'Slave' is from an EMachine and my main box is an HP if that makes a diff...

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
As long as your drives are set to master and slave there should be no problems. After boot up and in to the OS the new drive should be listed as the next avialable letter. Are you certain that the "master" drive is set to master and not channel select?

If it is correct is the new drive (slave) working? Has it been in use recently?

Does your BIOS see it as a drive? If not it might be to large for it to read and might require a BIOS update.

Hope this helps!

·
Out with your mom
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dunno, the slave HD comes up in my BIOS but not in My Comp when Windows is up. The only thing I can figure is that the extra HD (slave) is formatted on a Win XP setup.

·
No Cerveza... No Trabajo
21,924 Posts
In the future, please use primary and secondary when describing devices within the computer.

This message brought to you by the Council Of Political Correctness of America.

:D :D

·
Texas Rangers #1
10,592 Posts
Hit Man X said:
I dunno, the slave HD comes up in my BIOS but not in My Comp when Windows is up. The only thing I can figure is that the extra HD (slave) is formatted on a Win XP setup.
What OS does the other drive have installed? If the XP drive is formatted with NTFS and you're booting off of Windows 98 you won't be able to see the XP drive because it only recognizes FAT 16 or FAT 32 partitions. Not sure if there's a utility out ther to allow Windows 98 or 95 to see an NTFS drive.

·
Out with your mom
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah the boot drive was 98 and the secondary (haha) was on XP... so it's a no go. :(

·
Texas Rangers #1
10,592 Posts
Hit Man X said:
Yeah the boot drive was 98 and the secondary (haha) was on XP... so it's a no go. :(
Find a computer with Windows 2K/XP and a CD-RW and you can have it up and running in no time.

·
Out with your mom
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kenny_Stang said:
Find a computer with Windows 2K/XP and a CD-RW and you can have it up and running in no time.
I don't know anyone that has one. :eek: So I just emailed all the stuff to myself. haha

·
Texas Rangers #1
10,592 Posts
Hit Man X said:
I don't know anyone that has one. :eek: So I just emailed all the stuff to myself. haha
LOL. I guess that works too. Couldn't you have made the XP hard drive the master and the 98 hard drive the slave and done it that way? Or will the XP drive not boot up?

·
Out with your mom
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kenny_Stang said:
LOL. I guess that works too. Couldn't you have made the XP hard drive the master and the 98 hard drive the slave and done it that way? Or will the XP drive not boot up?
That'd require disassembly of an HP machine... not fun. The XP one just has a bunch of documents I needed for something illegal that was going on at work. hahaha

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
and yet another alternative....

would be to network both machines, share out the XP drive and drag and drop the files over to the 98 machine

1 - 12 of 12 Posts