DFW Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my front struts are goin' out in my '89 hatchback so I'm just gonna go the coilover route. I'm not looking to have a drag type setup, but rather something more along the lines of auto-x or road racing. Also, I don't race very often at all so I'd like a good ride quality maybe leaning towards a little stiffer as opposed to being too soft.
1- What combos are you guys running and how do you like them

2- Would you recommend adjustable struts, and if not, which strut is a good compromise of too hard/soft.

I'm sure I forgot to ask some stuff, so feel free to PM me with any information you wanna add. Thanks in advance,
John

·
Registered
716 Posts
Xcountry80 said:
1- What combos are you guys running and how do you like them
I'm currently running the Griggs coilover setup with 425# springs, but this is on a dedicated track car. 425 may be a little much for a dual-purpose car.

Keep in mind that coilover springs use lower rates compared to the factory springs. To convert between the two, use this formula:

c = f / 3.6

c = coilover rate
f = factory rate

So if you know the conventional rate you want to run, you can calculate the coilover rate you need.

There is a MUCH larger variety of coilover springs available compared to conventional factory springs, so you should be able to tune the spring rate to exactly what you want (in fact, race teans do use spring rates to tune the suspension to the track they're running at.)

For springs, check out Eibach, Hypercoils, or Addco. they all make springs that will work with the popular coilover conversions for Mustangs.

BTW, try to use a 10" or 12" spring if you can. If the spring is too short, you can get into coil bind when driving over bumps -- not a good thing.

2- Would you recommend adjustable struts, and if not, which strut is a good compromise of too hard/soft.
For a dual-ourpose car, I'd definitely get adjustable dampers (shocks and struts.) Koni (Reds or Yellows,) Tokiko (Illuminas,) and Bilstein all make good dampers. The dampers need to match the spring rate you choose. I use the Tokikos with my 425# springs, which is about as much spring as you want to run with them. Ditto for the Koni Reds.

-- Robert

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just from what I've seen and read, I was considering going with an 8" 350 lb. spring....not sure on Griggs or Maximum Motorsports stuff yet, cause they're both really good and priced about the same. Also, I'm thinking that with a 325-350 lb. spring, tokico adjustables outta be alright for those. Does anyone agree? Disagree? Any input would be great.
Again, this'll be mainly a daily driver with occassional auto-x/road racing and hardly ever at a 1/4 or 1/8 track. Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts