DFW Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I heard this crazy rumor that they are cutting production of the supercharged Cobras. Has anyone else heard this rumor? One of the guys I work with at the shop has a few friends at the local Ford dealership and this is where he got his info.<p>

The reason for cutting them is that they are showing up with dead cylinders and that the motors wheren't holding up. One of the mechanics stated it was like stuffing 10 pounds of shit into a 5 pound bag.<p>

Well, if anyone knows the validity of this please fill us in. If so I need to run out and get one while I can!:)

·
None
12,675 Posts
Ford Motor Company has stopped production of the 2003 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra due to quality concerns. The Cobra was first plagued with quality problems when the 1999 model was recalled over engine concerns after an article was published by BlueOvalNews. The 2000 model year was canceled, but the 2001 and 2002 Cobra models have been generally trouble free.

Sources at the Dearborn Assembly Plant (DAP), home of the Mustang, have told BlueOvalNews that Ford has been experiencing problems with the Cobra's 4.6L supercharged engine.

Both Ford Motor Company and Dearborn have CONFIRMED that all 2003 Mustang SVT Cobra production has stopped. All Cobras currently made will be released and shipped to consumers after being held at Dearborn since 21 October 2002.

Ford will try and resume Cobra production on or about 15 November 2002. Sources at Dearborn Assembly are reporting that some if not all 2003 Cobra production will be lost - Ford Motor Company refutes that by stating there will not be a loss of production.

·
The Alpha Omega Frog
8,333 Posts
I heard from a Ford Tech friend of mine it was because of the cooling system. That too many of them were running hot. Ford had tried to save space and put too small a raidiator in them. But with all the rumors floating around...who knows. :confused:

Karen

·
Crash Test Dummy
21,966 Posts
I heard it was because they're Fords.

That's just what I heard. It may not be entirely true though.

·
Bitter Italian
6,101 Posts
Monsoon X said:

Is that what was wrong with nicks when he put two cars on you? :p ;) :D

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
Monsoon X said:

Kind of like stopping production on all cameros and firechickens for good hunh, becuase of shitty product

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Frogger said:
I heard from a Ford Tech friend of mine it was because of the cooling system. That too many of them were running hot. Ford had tried to save space and put too small a raidiator in them. But with all the rumors floating around...who knows. :confused:

Karen
That sounds logical, because they're impressive on a dyno.....but only on a first cold run. Same at the track. I've seen one go from 396 rwhp to 370 is less than a minute! (3 quick runs) That's pretty bad.

And probably explains why I could still beat them (2-0) on the highway when I just had a lid.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts