DFW Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
[x] original checkboxer
10,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have any info/dyno charts/confirmed HP increases by going from a stock intake & 60mm throttle body to a Cobra intake & 65mm throttle body on an otherwise BONE STOCK 5.0 E7 headed motor with bolt ons? I mean untouched shortblock/cam/non ported E7 heads/stock valves/etc. What about 1.7 roller rockers as well? I personally think the gains will be slim on a stock car with headers/exhaust mods only. What do you guys think? I've always believed you should wait until you do the heads to put on an aftermarket intake, so I'm curious what others think. This is an n/a application, and remember, BONE stock heads and cam!

Thanks for any & all replies,

Matt Blansett

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I'm not sure but weren't the Cobras rated about 30-40hp more than a 5.0. Anything has got to be signifigantly better than a stock HO manifold. I'd take one right now if I could get one.

·
[x] original checkboxer
10,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would think that was mainly due to the combination of GT 40 heads as well as the Cobra intake/65mm tb/etc. I'm curious as to the gains of using this manifold with stock E7 heads, as I believe the heads are the bottleneck, not so much the intake. I know the stock intake wouldn't flow too well for aftermarket or even ported E7 heads, but I would *think* it would flow plenty for stock heads?! Comments?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I just remebered. Last year at DMP my friends coupe from OK dynoed 250 RWHP. It was a 306 with gasket matched E7's, a POS E cam and the Cobra manifold.

·
[x] original checkboxer
10,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good info, but what I'm really seeking is stock shortblock/cam/untouched heads and a Cobra intake, among other bolt ons.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Well gasket matched isn't much. With the stock cam it may not help too much. Do you have one or getting a killer price on one? If I could I would do it anyways and mine is bone stock right now.

·
[x] original checkboxer
10,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm actually thinking of adding a few mods and competing in a new FFW heads-up class called "Street Stang". The only engine mods it allows are a Cobra intake, 65mm tb, and 1.7 roller rockers. I was just curious if it would be worth it to spend the $$ or not on those items. If the gains are only a few HP, I doubt I'll do it, and I've never really seen any big documented gains from adding those to an otherwise stock 86-95 5.0 motor. Maybe someone can prove it though and change my mind?:)

·
TMP sucks *ss!!!
1,714 Posts
I think my buddy might have some numbers yall are looking for. his car is speed density, however.

·
[x] original checkboxer
10,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome! Mine is speed density too.:)

·
Along for the ride
7,029 Posts
darkpony's 94 GT has cobra intake with 1.7 rr's on stock motor and he's gone 8.29 at 81.7 w/ 1.71 sixty. pretty damn good IMO.

marcus

·
Premium Member
4,291 Posts
Damn, just because of my solid motor mounts I'm out.

Matt, the set up you are talking about is the exact same setup I'm running right now except for the 1.7 rr's. I can't give you dyno numbers because I've never been to a dyno days, Sorry.

Jerred

·
The Great One
481 Posts
i would go ahead and go with the cobra intake,, its definatley not gonna hurt you.. plus you dont wanna be the only guy in this class with a stock intake vs other people with the cobra,, i think that might put you a littel behind the others.. i would say it would give you like 10-15 hp with a stock heads..

·
baddluck
443 Posts
im all stock with a cobra maf/24#/70mmtb 3.73 and a few other free mods.. and i run about 103-104 mph in 1/4

·
Sir Clavin
3,106 Posts
K&N, U/D pullies, Cobra Intake, BBk LT's, dr gas Xpipe, Flowmasters, 12* timing, bypassed smog pump, 9mm wires.

124K mile shortblock, never been cracked except to change valve cover gaskets. That is the extent of my mods.
Dyno numbers below.

·
OLD SCHOOL crew
11,619 Posts
I am outta that class for so many reasons...electric fan, bigger radiator, e-cam, Tremec, what else did I see? I have 90/10's and the N2O in a box. Would a cobra wing really disqaulify my 91 GT?

My car has stock intake and heads...slow on motor, but illegal for that class.

It does look like a cool class though.

·
¯\(º_o)/¯
25,373 Posts
I noticed more top end pull n/a with the cobra intake, nothing crazy down low, but it picked some good power 4k rpms +

1 - 20 of 21 Posts