DFW 'Stang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Sexual Tyrannosaurus
5,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else gotten a letter from the city of allen about "Junk cars"? I got one for a 77 I had at a friends house that was stripped out but a lot of our customers with projects have been coming around with letters of their own. Mine was a hulk and probably needed to go away but whats up with the anti-project movement in allen? This going on anywhere else?

·
The first, the original
7,397 Posts
Laws have been on the books in nearly every city for a long time about how you are not allowed to keep a vehicle on your property with expired insurance, tags, or inspection. Actually I think its a state law. Even if you have the vehicle inside a locked privacy fence, they can come in and take it if someone says anything about it.

Fortunately this not usually anything that is enforced and only used in extreme cases. However; in a city like Allen or Frisco or other snooty places, they will likely enforce such things. They want everyone driving SUV's and imports less than 5 years old. :rolleyes: :mad:

I HATE HOA's and city code Nazi's.

·
Premium Member
32,085 Posts
I sure as hell wouldn't want to have to drive home everyday to see someone's "project" sitting outside all the damn time. If you want to leave a POS sitting outside on blocks, move to Garland (*jab jab*).

·
Registered
673 Posts
Frank said:
I HATE HOA's and city code Nazi's.
I don't think HOA's were put in place to determine what kind of car you should drive. LOL! :rolleyes:

I own a house in Allen and I'll be damned if I'm going to have my property devalued because some shmuck wants to place his "project" in the street. Put it in the garage or get storage somewhere. And don't try to tell me that someone has the "right" to put that in the street. They don't own that property.

Almost every neighborhood has an active HOA. Chances are, you signed documents before you moved in indicating your acceptance of the covenants and bylaws. They're there to preserve your property value and hopefully make your community a nice place to live. If you failed to read it, that's your fault. If you don't agree with what the document says, live out in the country or find a community that has rules you can live with.

·
Lost in suburbia HELLLLLL
4,295 Posts
nitrofish said:
I don't think HOA's were put in place to determine what kind of car you should drive. LOL! :rolleyes:

I own a house in Allen and I'll be damned if I'm going to have my property devalued because some shmuck wants to place his "project" in the street. Put it in the garage or get storage somewhere. And don't try to tell me that someone has the "right" to put that in the street. They don't own that property.

Almost every neighborhood has an active HOA. Chances are, you signed documents before you moved in indicating your acceptance of the covenants and bylaws. They're there to preserve your property value and hopefully make your community a nice place to live. If you failed to read it, that's your fault. If you don't agree with what the document says, live out in the country or find a community that has rules you can live with.

I take it you have never had project cars, property value is not determined by what types of cars are in front of your house. Those laws are total crap. Certain cities are assholes about it, Plano is bad on some parts. I have seen way worse then a person with a project car or a car that is in the middle of being repaired. How about a neighbor with a roofing that is nothing but a firehazard, or a neighbor with a driveway torn up. I would take a person with alittle project then some of the stuff I have seen in neighborhoods I have been too. Oh and HOA are not in almost everyneighborhoods, they are mainly in newer private developments, and alot people have to pay to have those :rolleyes:

·
Sexual Tyrannosaurus
5,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My TA's in the garage where it should be But I was wondering If anyone knew why Allen has gotten it's panties in a wad as of late. My HOA sucks ass and stops no one from doing anything. The cars that have been getting tagged have been sitting for years in some cases. Something happened just wanted to know what it might be.

·
Lost in suburbia HELLLLLL
4,295 Posts
EbonyLoveTruck said:
My TA's in the garage where it should be But I was wondering If anyone knew why Allen has gotten it's panties in a wad as of late. My HOA sucks ass and stops no one from doing anything. The cars that have been getting tagged have been sitting for years in some cases. Something happened just wanted to know what it might be.

Probably a neighbor complained so they just went around and gave everyone a notice, Alot of HOA won't allow your car to sit in the same spot for more then 48hrs. My parents is that way in Mckinney.

·
Premium Member
6,070 Posts
Allen is starting to crack down on junk cars, RV's, boats, trash, etc. that is visible from the street or alley. My house here in Allen has a HOA so we can't have anything like that or we will get a fine from them.

·
IA2
22,413 Posts
I've got an HOA and it makes it dammed hard to be a hot rodder :D I _am_ the ******* in my neighborhood.

My guess about the allen deal is that either someone complained or they have some new code enforcement people that are being a bit gung ho. Maybe the mayor has a burr and this came down.

·
The first, the original
7,397 Posts
nitrofish said:

I agree completely, but I still hate the HOA's.

I don't live in an HOA neighborhood and my project is under car cover in my back driveway. The area is kept clean. This still isn't enough for some areas though.

·
Worship me
34,345 Posts
I have an HOA. I think I pay them $180 a year. They seem to mind their own business and I mind mine. They keep the grass mowed in the common areas and maintain a fence that runs along the back of the neighborhood.

Personally, I don't want to see someone's pile of junk parked in the street in our neighborhood. But what goes on in the alleys is fair game. No one that doesn't live there should be back there.

IMO it has little to do with "keeping the neighborhood beautiful" and more to do with people trying to tell other people what the fuck to do. I tend to have a real fucking problem when people tell me what to do. On one hand if you didn't have an HOA, some fucktard would have his Firebird on jackstands in front of his house next door to mine on the other you have nosey fuckwads that need a foot shoved up their ass.

I figure if the HOA ever gives me any flak about anything I'll buy the house across the street and rent it out to some real dirtbags for $500 a month and see how they like that.

·
dead
14,611 Posts
AL P said:
I figure if the HOA ever gives me any flak about anything I'll buy the house across the street and rent it out to some real dirtbags for $500 a month and see how they like that.

lmao.. we had a HOA til my dad bought 7 houses in the neighborhood.

·
No Cerveza... No Trabajo
21,924 Posts
prochargedpony said:
I take it you have never had project cars, property value is not determined by what types of cars are in front of your house.
It certainly does.

·
El Camino
3,432 Posts
I'm up in McKinney but I keep my elky in the garage. On my street there is a 40-50s rat rod and two fox projects so I dont see them bitching too much.

·
Registered
673 Posts
prochargedpony said:
I take it you have never had project cars, property value is not determined by what types of cars are in front of your house. Those laws are total crap.
It most certainly has an indirect effect. If I'm trying to sell my house for $200K, and someone has a fiero on jackstands in the street in front of the house, are you telling me that they won't look at that and make a determination of what they'd pay for my house?? :confused:

You're waaay off base if you think it has no effect.

·
Registered
166 Posts
i can understand if the vehicle in question is out front, but when it is covered in your driveway, who's to say the it is junk. F the CIty of Allen Code enforcement.

·
Renegade Vette owner
1,153 Posts
I have lived in Allen since '90. Quite honestly, I don't want to see someone else's project, RV, etc sitting out front on my street or in my neighborhood. Fortunately, we have rear-entry garages where I live, so people can hide their stuff.

I agree...if its covered and parked on an improved surface, they shouldn't mess with it.

BUT... for every one who tries to keep their project out of side and clean, there are 50 bozos with vehicles on jackstands, dripping oil everywhere, etc. If they want to do it in their backyard, fine. In a public area... nope.

The crock to this entire ordinance is that "old" vehicles are considered "antiques" and you can park them anywhere you like, in any condition, with or without current tags/registration. When we first moved to Allen, our next door neighbor bought a '49 Dodge truck. What a pile of junk. Actually it had some potential, but they parked it almost right by my mailbox, it never moved, never ran, nothing. I called the city after about 6 weeks. They came out and said it was an "antique", so none of the ordinances applied to it. Uh, ok.

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
red96gt27 said:
i can understand if the vehicle in question is out front, but when it is covered in your driveway, who's to say the it is junk. F the CIty of Allen Code enforcement.
I dislike code enforcement, but I have lived in Allen for fucking ever and it is the same as all the other cities nearby. In fact , my car has been on one jackstand for an axle for two weeks now in Allen and I haven't received anything. Most of the time if the code you are breaking isn't done for awhile they don't bother you.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts