DFW Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
600 plus a few
7,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, i got my new cobra intake last night and i started installing it. i got the upper off just fine and got all the bolts out of the lower of my stock. i have everything out of the way except the fuel rails, i cant get them off! i got these special tools from o'rielys and i dont know how they work. theyre circle shaped things that have a spring in them, the guy told me you just put it around the part in the fuel rail and it will snap them right off. well, it didnt, and now i cant get the fuel rails off my car to get the lower out so i can get my new intake in so im stuck.... im trying to disconnect it right by the distributor where the round connectors are. can anyone help me. oh and its on an 87 GT. thanks

·
Im somebody's daddy!
14,602 Posts
There is a clip that is wpped around the two lines. Snap that clip off first. Then locate the side of the fuel line that has the opening where you can see the spring inside. That is the side that the lip of the round tool slides into. Be sure to get the right tool for the right size fuel line. Slip the tool into the spring side of the fuel line and pull it into the opening with one hand, and push the fuel line with the other hand so you are squeezing them together. When it goes in, then pull the line back and it should release. Once you figure it out its gravy...

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
Why not just pull the injectors, and move the entire rail setup off to the side until you get the new lower in place?

·
IA2
22,413 Posts
tex said:
Why not just pull the injectors, and move the entire rail setup off to the side until you get the new lower in place?
Yep, that's the ticket. Your hoses are cooked onto the fuel rail and it may never come off. I had the same problem when I pulled the engine out of my GT and I had to disconnect the fuel lines using the connectors under the front of the engine.

Use some motor oil on the o-rings on the injectors when it's going back together and make sure the rail is fully seated and the hold-down bolts are tight. Switch the key on a couple of times before you bolt on the upper to check for leaks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts