DFW Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...I could not believed how dirty the oil got with less than 2 hrs run time.

Thanks god...there are no metal particles in oil nor filter.:D

·
NOT the Oldest Fart HERE
4,427 Posts
better filters

I keep trying to tell people the benefits of 3 filters, mobile 1, pure one, and AC ultra guard gold.
cheap paper filters start by-passing the oil after as little as 2 hours run time if the previous filter was by-passing.
all three of these filters have synthetic filter media and have many times the filter life of the paper element filters.
as for your problem now, change the oil again quickly and it may clear up , but you'll need a new filter.

·
Premium Member
5,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry for not being clear...but I had a Fram oil filter...and replaced a Fram filter today with the oil change.

Oil & filter is cheap...I will change both again as soon as I get her rolling...right now she got a little transmission problem...LOL!

Thanks.

·
NOT the Oldest Fart HERE
4,427 Posts
maybe I'M not being clear!

a Fram filter is paper media, when the tiny holes in the paper stop up, the bypass valve in the filter opens and you have NO filter. Dirt accumulates in the oil in the motor. When you change the oil and use another (cheap) Fram filter, the dirt accumulated in the motor gets trapped in the new filter clogging it up, again--- it goes into bypass and YOU HAVE NO FILTER.
Point being, use a good filter and the oil will stay cleaner

·
Worship me
34,345 Posts
Tan, change the oil two more times before you put in the good stuff, at least i would anyway.

If you got the AOD with the TV cable also make sure that you set the line pressure on the tranny before you drive the car or it will burn up the clutches. Don't ask me where to plug in the pressure gauge or what to set the pressure to, as I have never run an AOD but I do know it needs to be done thanks to a friend who kept going through trannies every month :)

·
Rolling with the homies
43,268 Posts
Good info Charlie. Didn't realize that the filter would bypass dirty oil if it got clogged. I'd like to second the question, what filter do you use?

·
NOT the Oldest Fart HERE
4,427 Posts
any of the 3

the ac ultraguard is the best hands down, but unfortunatly it's no where to be found. Either of the other 2 are good --- pepboys has the pure one and autozone has the mobile 1

·
IA2
22,413 Posts
Re: any of the 3

jyro said:
the ac ultraguard is the best hands down, but unfortunatly it's no where to be found. Either of the other 2 are good --- pepboys has the pure one and autozone has the mobile 1
Tan - lose the fram. Use one of the above suggestions or at least pick up an FL1A.

The quality on the fram is poor according to recent evidence published on the net.

·
Rolling with the homies
43,268 Posts
Re: Re: any of the 3

mikeb said:
Tan - lose the fram. Use one of the above suggestions or at least pick up an FL1A.

The quality on the fram is poor according to recent evidence published on the net.
So how good/bad is the FL1A? That's what I normally use.

·
IA2
22,413 Posts
Re: Re: Re: any of the 3

evil jose said:
So how good/bad is the FL1A? That's what I normally use.
This guy cut up a bunch of filters and did unscientific comparisons on what he found inside. The FL1A seems to be a very good filter.

http://www.frankhunt.com/FRANK/corvette/articles/oilfilterstudy/oilfilterstudy.html#motorcraft

Most people saying that fram is crap quote from this guy's findings, although i've seen several people post up here and there that their fram came apart internally and ruined an engine.

·
Premium Member
5,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
FL1A is what I normally use on the truck...bought the Fram because I thought they are better than the FL1A. Next time...

I will post a diff thread about the tranny issue...

·
NOT the Oldest Fart HERE
4,427 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,368 Posts
I've driven Fords since 1976, and all I've ever used are FL1-A filters. They're cheap, and a Ford product. Can't do much better than that...

·
Watch Me Do Me
7,142 Posts
Possibly Gas ?

Im sure its running pretty rich without that tune ?

Gas will make it dirty , QUICK.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts