DFW Mustang Forums banner

chalk

2K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  Chili 
#1 ·
funny thing happened in my philosophy of religion class today.

the teacher picked up a piece of chalk and started writing on the board, and the chalk broke. no big deal, so he picks up another piece of chalk and starts to write and it breaks. so now he goes on about how that only happens once or twice a semester and how odd it was to happen twice in the same day.

so he picks up a third piece of chalk and says, "ok if this one breaks then there is a God and he is punishing me for something". he starts to write and it breaks. well the class got a laugh and he turned it into part of his lecture, but it was obvious he wished he hadn't said it. he hasn't said anything about his personal beliefs, but i read that he is an atheist.

i figured the Christians would get a kick out of that story.

#3 ·
More like biased across the entire board. Most religions are based on some sort of higher power, which an atheist rejects. He would not necessarily favor Christianity over Islam, but personally he would reject them all and possibly be slanted against them.

The OP sounds like a forwarded e-mail. Not saying you are lying, but there is a story much like this about dropping chalk and it not breaking. Did this really happen?

#5 ·
yeah, it happened this morning in class. it was definitely unintentional. he probably talked the last 15 minutes of class about it, as in how there was a natural explanation for it. it wasn't that big a deal to me, there was a couple more pieces of chalk that broke after. probably just cheap chalk. but, i figured there were some people on here that would appreciate it.

he is a good teacher, and he hasn't addressed any of his beliefs. i read online he was an atheist. we pretty much read arguments from one philosopher about the existence of God or a supreme creator, and then read an opposing argument and discuss that we understand what the arguments are.

#6 ·
beat me to it!

i was going to say it was cheap chalk...

although i have heard a few atheist people (friends of mine) say "oh my god" when something happens - but then again that is just a phrase so anyone can use or say it.

#9 · (Edited)
I don't know about a true atheist, but it's probably good that somebody who's not going to show any favoritism towards one religion or another is teaching it. That's funny though because if there is a God, I won't grab another beer out of the fridge here in about four more ounces.

I'll let you know how it works out.

EDIT: I got my beer.

#10 ·
that is funny
someone teaching faith that has none
funniest thing ive heard in a while actually

the question is
if he is a true athiest, wouldn't he think his career is worthless and a waste of his life?
or does he think he's doing the world a favor? lol

#11 ·
He's not teaching faith, he's teaching the mechanics of religion. The former is untowardly subjective and the latter is largely objective.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.