DFW Mustang Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it worth the extra price to go with cedar fence panels instead of the base whitewood fence panels? I usually get about 10 years from whitewood fences, but have never had cedar panels before, so I have no idea how long they would last.

What are the advantages of paying more for the cedar panels?

Thanks in advance for the responses.
 

·
Behind Blue Eyes..
Joined
·
6,729 Posts
cedar panels last longer before a treatment especially the thicker ones...and with treatment they will last a long time..just get metal poles..and your fence will stay up a looonnng time...
 

·
Cummins > Powerstroke
Joined
·
19,065 Posts
just stain it
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, I gues I need to expalin more. I am a house flipper and I will be selling the house in about a year. I prefer the whitewood because extra money eats into my profits from the flip.

The dilemma:
My neighbor is a very nice lady who is nearing retirement and prefers to have the cedar panels so she won't have to relace the panels as often. We both prefer metal poles, so that is a done deal. I don't want to have to stain the fence, I just want to know if the cedar panels are worth the extra money. I want to help my neioghbor because she is very nice and just recently lost her husband, so she doesn't have anyone to replace the fence panels after I leave.

So, is it worth it to go with cedar panels over whitewood panels or not?
 

·
duh...duh....duh
Joined
·
9,543 Posts
any previous homeowner will appreciate the cedar panels and perhaps the value of having them.

However, they'd also appreciate them sealed. just throw seal in a sprayer and go to town. Extends the life dramatically and can be done pretty darn fast...do both sides though.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do the Thompsons water seal, but I still don't know if the cedar panels will last longer and if they are worth the money.

I have done about 4 fences in the last 10 years, so putting up fences is not new to me, just cedar panels. I always go with metal poles and all the right hardware. I just use the cheapest HD whitewood panels, since I never stay in a flip house for more then 2 years.

In my final house I will go cedar, extra thick, nice panels and top them like the pros do.
 

·
Insane In The Membrane
Joined
·
5,575 Posts
90 Notch said:
Okay, I gues I need to expalin more. I am a house flipper and I will be selling the house in about a year. I prefer the whitewood because extra money eats into my profits from the flip.

The dilemma:
My neighbor is a very nice lady who is nearing retirement and prefers to have the cedar panels so she won't have to relace the panels as often. We both prefer metal poles, so that is a done deal. I don't want to have to stain the fence, I just want to know if the cedar panels are worth the extra money. I want to help my neioghbor because she is very nice and just recently lost her husband, so she doesn't have anyone to replace the fence panels after I leave.

So, is it worth it to go with cedar panels over whitewood panels or not?

Yo, the whitewood will out last the old lady! Keep your eye on the profit.......
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,368 Posts
Cedar stains better, looks better, lasts longer, and is more bug (termite) resistant than whitewood. It makes for a higher quality fence...IMHO.
 

·
Gun Nut- Got Lead?
Joined
·
1,203 Posts
<------Professional fence stainer.

For a house flipper: No, not worth it. White wood is cheaper for you. For an old lady you like its nice to do. Would I do cedar to take care of her if I were you: Probably.

Stain will improve the look and double the life of a fence. Cedar is king. Steel posts are a must.
 

·
Painting Your House
Joined
·
10,734 Posts
Use the cedar for several reasons. The cedar looks better for one. I put up a cedar fence and my next door neighbor put up a white pine a month later. Looking at both of them side-by-side, its a huge difference. So for resale, I'd go cedar. I second the fence staining. You should go down to one of the local fence company's and use their Ready Seal. Its a much better product than what the paint stores sell and is cheaper as well. Don't use the Thompson's. Its just a wax type coating. The Ready Seal penetrates into the wood. Stain is also great for resale.

As a house flipper, you should know that the wow factor sells. You have a well manicured yard, fresh paint and a nice stained fince... :)
 

·
Gun Nut- Got Lead?
Joined
·
1,203 Posts
2nd on Ready Seal. We use only Ready Seal or Wood Defender. Both are oil based deep penetrating stains. Retail it is pricey, I think 84 lumber carries it for about $125 for 5 gal, as a contractor I pay $85 direct from Ready Seal.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
96Cobra_Nate said:
Yo, the whitewood will out last the old lady! Keep your eye on the profit.......
Finally an answer I was looking for. Thanks!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
jwalk said:
<------Professional fence stainer.

For a house flipper: No, not worth it. White wood is cheaper for you. For an old lady you like its nice to do. Would I do cedar to take care of her if I were you: Probably.

Stain will improve the look and double the life of a fence. Cedar is king. Steel posts are a must.
I may do it if she really wants the cedar just for the karma benefits. She is really nice and my daughter absolutely adores her.

I go with metal poles always, regardless of the type of fence panels. I just wish I could buy a house where the last person who put up a fence used metal poles. :mad:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BlackSnake1996 said:
Use the cedar for several reasons. The cedar looks better for one. I put up a cedar fence and my next door neighbor put up a white pine a month later. Looking at both of them side-by-side, its a huge difference. So for resale, I'd go cedar. I second the fence staining. You should go down to one of the local fence company's and use their Ready Seal. Its a much better product than what the paint stores sell and is cheaper as well. Don't use the Thompson's. Its just a wax type coating. The Ready Seal penetrates into the wood. Stain is also great for resale.

As a house flipper, you should know that the wow factor sells. You have a well manicured yard, fresh paint and a nice stained fince... :)
This is the first house we have had that will have an asking price over 200K, so the wow factor of a new fence was enough. This house may need that cedar wow factor.
 

·
Behind Blue Eyes..
Joined
·
6,729 Posts
im about to have to replace our fence..fuckin wood poles :mad:
 

·
Gun Nut- Got Lead?
Joined
·
1,203 Posts
Frame out the fence with trim or even a double trim for the wow factor. Cutting scallops will also take it to another level.

Ready Seal will make the new fence look awesome. http://www.readyseal.com/colors.asp is the website for the colors. The website actually kinda sucks but the stain is awesome. Medium Brown and Medium Red are the most common used. I have a color board that shows the colors if I need to take a pic let me know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
858 Posts
Panels have 2x3 runners if you want a good fence build it pickett by pickett and use whitewood 2x4s, 6" cedar picketts, and ringshank galvanized nails 13/4" 6 per pickett, steel posts. The whitewood panels have gotten high as hell so it wont cost that much more to do it like this. Ready seal med. brown looks great. I bought my 2x4s at home depot the other day for $1.99 a peice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Yes, even though base whitewood fence panels cost a bit more, they are durable and worth investing. I have had my fencing installed with them quite a few years ago and they are still doing good.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top