DFW Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of our cats hasn't been eating as regularly over the past couple weeks. We didn't really think anything of it at first, but tonight we just got home from being out of town all weekend, and the cat looks like it hasn't eaten since we left. He's pretty skinny and lethargic, etc.

We are making him a vet appointment first thing tomorrow morning, but any ideas on how to make him eat in the mean time? We've always fed him Science Diet Sensitive Stomach food, which he apparently isn't eating, and he won't eat treats lately either. Any ever have a similar problem with their pets, and have some ideas?

Thanks,
Leslie

· Premium Member
1,511 Posts
Have you not been home much? Our cats will not eat much if we leave for an extended time. Happened when my son was born and when we went on a vacation. Both times me and the wife were not at home for about a week. The cats ate for a couple of days and then they stopped. Little bitches............:D

· Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
See we've left town probably 3-4 times in the past month, for only a couple days at a time, but we usually leave town about 1-2 times each month, and never noticed anything before. And even in the weeks that we are here, he doesn't seem to eat as often.

Also he's about 3 years old, was the runt of the litter, and has a chronic sinus infection thing that he takes medicine for sometimes. I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

G

·
Force feed him, or try a different food. Maybe he's just pissed off that you give him the same stuff. I know it's not good to keep changing their diet, but it's worth a shot if it keeps him alive.

· Married Man on 14Feb2010
14,105 Posts

· Out
36,504 Posts
Anything new around the house, maybe something getting "his" deserved attention?

Cats are too finiky. My cat has done that before. Not saying that it's the same problem, but mine has worse mood swings than my wife. Some people, or animals, will do anything for attention. A trip to the vet never hurts.

· Premium Member
4,435 Posts
Have you put a flea collar on it recently? If so, alot of cats get liver problems from those. Also check it for fleas. My mom's cat laid around and didn't eat for a few days, and a trip to the vet discovered he had real bad fleas. (he was an outside cat, and she lives in the country)

· Registered
4,262 Posts
Thats why i dont like cats, dogs will eat anything and are way more playful and friendly.

· IA2
22,150 Posts
KJ94GT said:
Force feed him, or try a different food. Maybe he's just pissed off that you give him the same stuff. I know it's not good to keep changing their diet, but it's worth a shot if it keeps him alive.
No, don't do this.

He may have some kind of intestional blockage which happens with cats, particularly if they've eaten any string/ribbon that might have been left around.

Leave him alone and get him to the vet ASAP.

· Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The only strange thing that has happened recently is that my boyfriend accidentally picked up the "Sensitive Skin" food at the store, instead of "Sensitive Stomach" food. But right around Christmas day we ran out of the "Sensitive Skin" food and replaced it with "Sensitive Stomach" again. We were planning to see what happened after we went back to the old food, and apparently after 5 days his eating habits don't seem to be changing.

We have tried petting him while he eats, he doesn't seem to feel one way or another about it. And he isn't really the jealous type - anyone who has seen him can tell you he doesn't have a mean bone in his body; he's always been very passive and disaffected by everything around him. Also, if any one of our three cats gets more attention that the others, its him. He gets along great with our other cats, too. Since I last posted, we did find a big clearish-yellow stain on our comforter that wasn't there before we left. It doesn't really smell like piss, or anything familiar, but I'll bet it was from him puking - no chunks though.

The only thing thats happened recently is that we tried to feed him some minced clams (is that bad??) and he licked the juice off of them, but I dont think he ate any. BTW he is still drinking water any chance he gets.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

Leslie

· Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Denny said:
I'm not a vet, but I'm pretty sure it's gonna be the food. Also, sometimes treating a cat to foods like clams might do more damage than good since it's too far from their regular diet.
Yeah, normally we don't really give them anything besides the same dry food, and occasional treats. But this time I was just looking for anything that might entice him to get a little protein in his body! He's so frail and skinny! :(

· Premium Member
3,153 Posts
My wife says that milk isn't good for cats either.

One of our cats quit eating for an unknown reason, we think stress related. That led to liver problems since her body started to feed off the fat in the liver, its rather common according to the vet and only takes 2-3 days of not eating to start happening. She got jaudiced and came close to dying even before we knew what was going on.

One vet wanted to do all these tests that would have been real expensive. We did get xrays and there was no blockage. We took her to our normal vet and he said he had seen this before. He had us force feed her a high calorie food with a syringe. It took us doing that 3 times a day for 6 weeks but she finally snapped out of it and got back to normal.

My suggestion is to take the cat to the vet asap. Before doing anything drastic, get a second opinion. I can give you my vets info if you need it, hes on 183 and MacArthur. My wife has been taking her cats to him for like 19 years.

-Chris

-Chris

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.