DFW Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!
Joined
·
14,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching CNN and on the Ticker on the bottom of the screen it said "Carrollton, TX Bans Toys Guns that look like the Real Thing from being in Public" :eek:

I'm sure Mr. James had something to do with this. He doesn't want one of His Officers to shoot someone with a Toy Gun.
 

·
How you doin'
Joined
·
28,254 Posts
i heard about that on the radio this morning. i thought it was pretty funny. well, i guess that it is cheaper to ban toy guns than it is to get their officers some vision insurance. lol :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
774 Posts
Did anybody else here the loud flushing sound....I think it might have been the Constitution.

Who Needs 8 said:
I was watching CNN and on the Ticker on the bottom of the screen it said "Carrollton, TX Bans Toys Guns that look like the Real Thing from being in Public" :eek:

I'm sure Mr. James had something to do with this. He doesn't want one of His Officers to shoot someone with a Toy Gun.
 

·
How you doin'
Joined
·
28,254 Posts
Re: Re: Carrollton Bans Toy Guns

EquusCriollo said:
Did anybody else here the loud flushing sound....I think it might have been the Constitution.
i will admit that it has been a long time since i have even seen the constitution, but i don't remember anything in it about toy guns. maybe hasbro made some sort of ammendment.:confused: :D
 

·
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!
Joined
·
10,859 Posts
Re: Re: Carrollton Bans Toy Guns

EquusCriollo said:
Did anybody else here the loud flushing sound....I think it might have been the Constitution.
Oh geez..............that is the lamest comment I've heard.

Look, there are quite a few toy guns out there that are dead on matches for the real thing. A kid was nearly shot by a cop because he thought it was a real gun. They did a little spot on Fox 4 last month showing cops two guns (one real, one fake), none of them could tell the difference. This has nothing to do with Constitutional rights. Toys are NOT guns (though some morons think Guns are toys) and are not protected under the Constitution.

And before you go off thinking I'm some liberal hack, I'm a member of the NRA and have a concealed weapons permit. Personally (I don't have kids) I wouldn't let my kids play with toy guns because I think a Pistol or rifle is a tool, not a toy. My kids would be taught how to use the tool and not play with it, but that's just my personal opinion there. I wouldn't hold that against someone that does let their kid play cops and robbers in the back yard.

IMO, there is a simple solution. Make all toy guns bright orange or Yellow. Make it obvious that it is not a real gun. The law doesn't apply to toys that are obviously not real. It doesn't apply to super soakers, paintball guns, or something like an old lasertag gun. It applies ONLY to replicas of the real thing. It's common sence.
 

·
None
Joined
·
12,675 Posts
Last modified: 08:58 AM CST on Wednesday, November 20, 2002


Carrollton: No toy guns in public
City alters law to lessen risk of mistaking replicas for real thing


11/20/2002

By SCOTT STAFFORD / The Dallas Morning News

CARROLLTON – It is against the law for Carrollton kids to publicly carry toy guns that look real.

The Carrollton City Council on Tuesday night changed a firearms ordinance to outlaw the possession of replica guns by minors and make it illegal for anybody to use them in a way that could cause public alarm.

The change was part of the council's consent agenda, a list of proposals that are passed without discussion, and was approved unanimously. The amended ordinance takes effect immediately.

A replica gun caused alarm in Coppell last month when a police officer spotted a child with a handgun, only to find out after a short chase that it was a toy replica that shoots plastic pellets.

"You want to play with them, fine. Play with them in a contained situation, in your house or in your back yard," said Carrollton Police Chief David James, who proposed the change. "But don't take those things out and brandish them in public."

He said it's dangerous for a child to carry a replica gun in public because someone with a real gun, such as a police officer or a neighbor, cannot tell that the replica is a toy.

"We'd like to remove both the possibility of somebody else shooting that person or the police shooting that person in a mistake," Chief James said.

The only time replica guns would be allowed in the city would be in parades, ceremonies or other official activities.

James Dark, executive director of the Texas State Rifle Association, protested the change. He told the council that the city was misusing its weapons ordinance.

"In its amended form, this ordinance is a significant cause of concern to us as an organization and indeed will be to many gun owners," he said.

Chief James, who said the change was consistent with state law, said Carrollton police have reported three incidents in which replica guns were confiscated from minors, and some were being used to intimidate others.

"Our officers were very, very upset that they came into a situation where they might have used deadly force, that what had the appearance of a firearm which would place them in imminent fear of bodily harm was in fact not one," Chief James said. "What a nightmare that is."

When an officer sees someone with a replica gun, said Carrollton police Sgt. Robert Digman, "the fact of the matter is that officers don't have the luxury of saying, 'Oh, that's just a toy gun.' They've got to assume that it's not."

Replica guns that shoot plastic pellets have become popular with people who play paintball and other war games. Known as airsoft models, they are designed to look like real weapons used by police and military forces.

"We don't want an officer shooting a kid and having to live with that, or not shooting when they should have," Carrollton Mayor Mark Stokes said. "A toy gun is a toy gun; it doesn't have to look real. But this is dangerous, and some innocent kid is going to end up getting hurt."

Some owners of replica guns agreed that they should not be brandished in public and that children should not be carrying them.

Carrollton resident Brian Robinson, 32, is an airsoft enthusiast who uses the guns at private parks. A former police officer, Mr. Robinson says the use of replicas by children in public is irresponsible.

"When I got into airsoft, I was very surprised at how real the guns looked," he said. "I would be livid if I saw somebody pointing one at my kid, because I would assume it was a real gun. Kids are going to get themselves killed out of just plain stupidity."

At least one nationwide seller of airsoft guns is considering the worries about safety.

"We are certainly aware of and appreciate the concerns regarding the air-powered pellet guns," said Karen Burk, a spokeswoman for Wal-Mart Stores Inc. "Wal-Mart has developed a long-term plan to remove some of these items from our shelves. ... Wal-Mart recently raised the age restriction policy for purchasing this item from 16 to 18."

E-mail [email protected]
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,204 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Carrollton Bans Toy Guns

Sgt Beavis said:
IMO, there is a simple solution. Make all toy guns bright orange or Yellow. Make it obvious that it is not a real gun. The law doesn't apply to toys that are obviously not real. It doesn't apply to super soakers, paintball guns, or something like an old lasertag gun. It applies ONLY to replicas of the real thing. It's common sence.
Big loophole for criminals? Just paint the gun one of the 2 colors and what can ya do? I am pretty moot on this subject. If it saves some kids from being shot that's fine. It is kinda scary how similar they look, kids don't need to play in public areas with the toy guns, but at the same time, they don't need to be shot for it either. This is okay with me...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
774 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Carrollton Bans Toy Guns

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. My comment had nothing to do with the constitutional right to bear arms. I am not a gun toting militia member, I don't even own a gun ( I have two children and an unstable wife ). I was reffering the gradual errosion of personal freedom in every aspect of our lives. When the government passes a law outlawing a TOY things are not exactly looking their brightest....

Great, so alot of toy guns look like real ones. If little johnny is playing in the backyard his chances of getting shot by the PD is pretty low. If however 14 year old johnny is using a toy gun to scare the shit out of some punk who called him for being a chode and gets shot then it is his own damn fault. It is a combination of judgement, good sense, and personal responsibility that makes things safe. Not another useless law that sets a dangerous precedent.

You know of course if they start making a law that all toy guns have to be bright orange that there will be people out there with a pistol and a can of spray paint before the ink on the paper is dry :D

Sgt Beavis said:
Oh geez..............that is the lamest comment I've heard.

Look, there are quite a few toy guns out there that are dead on matches for the real thing. A kid was nearly shot by a cop because he thought it was a real gun. They did a little spot on Fox 4 last month showing cops two guns (one real, one fake), none of them could tell the difference. This has nothing to do with Constitutional rights. Toys are NOT guns (though some morons think Guns are toys) and are not protected under the Constitution.

And before you go off thinking I'm some liberal hack, I'm a member of the NRA and have a concealed weapons permit. Personally (I don't have kids) I wouldn't let my kids play with toy guns because I think a Pistol or rifle is a tool, not a toy. My kids would be taught how to use the tool and not play with it, but that's just my personal opinion there. I wouldn't hold that against someone that does let their kid play cops and robbers in the back yard.

IMO, there is a simple solution. Make all toy guns bright orange or Yellow. Make it obvious that it is not a real gun. The law doesn't apply to toys that are obviously not real. It doesn't apply to super soakers, paintball guns, or something like an old lasertag gun. It applies ONLY to replicas of the real thing. It's common sence.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,204 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Carrollton Bans Toy Guns

EquusCriollo said:
Great, so alot of toy guns look like real ones. If little johnny is playing in the backyard his chances of getting shot by the PD is pretty low. If however 14 year old johnny is using a toy gun to scare the shit out of some punk who called him for being a chode and gets shot then it is his own damn fault. It is a combination of judgement, good sense, and personal responsibility that makes things safe. Not another useless law that sets a dangerous precedent.

While like above, I agree..I am an avid gun owner/collecter and user. You can't really expect those ages to be worrying about getting shot first for playing with a fake gun. Accidental lapses of judgements happen and kids don't need to be shot for it, period.
 

·
None
Joined
·
12,675 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Carrollton Bans Toy Guns

EquusCriollo said:

Great, so alot of toy guns look like real ones. If little johnny is playing in the backyard
Unfortunately, a lot of kids don't have back yards.
 

·
Worship me
Joined
·
34,345 Posts
I've got an idea...why don't we expect a little more of the shitbag police....what a concept!

Its not my job in life to make things easier for those assclowns. They already get paid to sit around with their thumbs in their asses for hours at a time.

On the news story they had a Carrollton detective that said he had actually drawn his weapon on some kid who had a toy gun. I was thinking "does this guy need to be a fucking cop?" We are talking Carrollton here, not the fucking Bronx. I'm tired of listening to fucking cops whine....
 

·
Worship me
Joined
·
34,345 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Carrollton Bans Toy Guns

Grant said:
While like above, I agree..I am an avid gun owner/collecter and user. You can't really expect those ages to be worrying about getting shot first for playing with a fake gun. Accidental lapses of judgements happen and kids don't need to be shot for it, period.
Don't forget, we are all supposed to "make things safe for the police".

The only guy who ever pulled a gun on me in my life has been a cop. And it was always for NOTHING. Am i the only one who sees a pattern here?
 

·
Poor Boy Racing
Joined
·
2,770 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Carrollton Bans Toy Guns

AL P said:
Don't forget, we are all supposed to "make things safe for the police".

The only guy who ever pulled a gun on me in my life has been a cop. And it was always for NOTHING. Am i the only one who sees a pattern here?

Amen.
 

·
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!
Joined
·
10,859 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Carrollton Bans Toy Guns

EquusCriollo said:


Great, so alot of toy guns look like real ones. If little johnny is playing in the backyard his chances of getting shot by the PD is pretty low. If however 14 year old johnny is using a toy gun to scare the shit out of some punk who called him for being a chode and gets shot then it is his own damn fault. It is a combination of judgement, good sense, and personal responsibility that makes things safe. Not another useless law that sets a dangerous precedent.

One little problem. 14 year old johnny might be 10 year old Johnny. You expect good judgement, sense, and responsibility from a CHILD? Heck, even most 14 year olds don't have that. How about the 5 year old playing in his front yard pointing the replica gun at a cop? Yea I wouldn't let my kid do that (if I had a kid) but some people do. Sorry, but this is not an erosion of freedom, its common sence.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
783 Posts
I think this is a good law.

One: it will help officers in a quick thinking/reaction situation. If an 8 year old kid is pointing a supersoaker at the officer it will be easier to tell than a fake gun that looks like the one on the officers hip. If I was an officer I wouldn't want to worry about an 8 year old holding a gun towards me wondering if he accidentally pulls the trigger will I get wet, or shot?
Two: it will save lives (maybe only one or two, but that is two more than before this law).

And no kid deserves to get shot because he is playing with a toy gun. No matter how well the child is raised, they are still a child and will make misjudgements. Hell I am 22 years old, and I think my parents did a good job raising me, but I still screw up on a regular basis :). Just ask anyone I work with!

Later,
Jason
 

·
Yes I'm...
Joined
·
3,630 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Carrollton Bans Toy Guns

EquusCriollo said:
If however 14 year old johnny is using a toy gun to scare the shit out of some punk who called him for being a chode and gets shot then it is his own damn fault.
Tell that to the police officer who feared for his life or for that of another and shoots a 14 yr old kid. Whose only crime was trying to scare other kids. Not that that's not bad, but I know a lot of cops, and I know the nightmare it would be for them if that happened. Could you live with that if it were you?

I too support this. It's something that should be common sense...don't let your kids play with guns that look real in a public place. For those parents who don't have that common sense, I'm all for the local government trying to protect their kids.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,204 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Carrollton Bans Toy Guns

AL P said:
Don't forget, we are all supposed to "make things safe for the police".

The only guy who ever pulled a gun on me in my life has been a cop. And it was always for NOTHING. Am i the only one who sees a pattern here?
I know, either way, it doesn't really bother me, it's a moot point. Even if a kid that young has a gun, I don't think you could expect a kid to know what he was doing, or fear of being shot. I don't think this law will do/effect jack shit. I'm not on either side here, this is really a who gives a fuck law to me.
 

·
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!
Joined
·
10,859 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Carrollton Bans Toy Guns

Grant said:
I know, either way, it doesn't really bother me, it's a moot point. Even if a kid that young has a gun, I don't think you could expect a kid to know what he was doing, or fear of being shot. I don't think this law will do/effect jack shit. I'm not on either side here, this is really a who gives a fuck law to me.
Now you make a very good point. Let's say they stop selling replicas at the Toys R Us in Carrollton. Toys R Us is just going to send the toys to the store in Plano. How exactly do they propose to enforce this law. It's a good idea but is it enforcable?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,204 Posts
Too Nazi-esque to be enforceable too me, it sounds good on paper, but if some 6 yea old doesn't remember it, does he get shot? I would be willing to bet that if he does, that this is the last law to be cited in court. Like I said, it sounds okay, but really, nothing has changed, it's just on paper.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top