DFW Mustang Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car crapped out on me tonight at my gf's house. It won't turn over but the battery is fine and it has a full charge. I hear the solenoid click once but nothing else. I noticed while I was under the hood I had my daughter try to crank the car and the grounding strap from the block to the fire wall started glowing orange. This is an 87 LX with battery relocated to Hatch. All accessories are working fine. Tried to push start also but wouldn't fire. Any ideas? Also tried to jump across solenoid but only got lots of sparks.

· Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was able to get the car push started this morning. I was trying to do it by myself last night and just couldn't get it rolling fast enough. It appears the starter has a short. It is only two months old so I will be taking it back to Altstart for a replacement. Thanks for the help.

· The first, the original
7,259 Posts
Since this is an 87, has the TSB for the ignition switch ever been performed? Something to look into even if this time it is the starter. Those ignition switches were known to separate and even cause fires. They can cause it not to turn over. I was thinking the solenoid but when you mentioned the glowing ground strap a shorted starter sounds very possible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.