DFW Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Full tilt boogie !!
10,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I push the clutch pedal in and the car wont start, bbut if I jump it across at the solenoid it starts. So i figured the Clutch starter switch went out, I replaced it and still have the same problem.

does anyone know what else could cause this problem, I was thinking maybe a short???.....I'm not good w/ electrical problems though.

Any help is appreciated, this is a real pain my a**

Thanks

Steve

·
Premium Member
6,783 Posts
Txstang1 said:
I push the clutch pedal in and the car wont start, bbut if I jump it across at the solenoid it starts. So i figured the Clutch starter switch went out, I replaced it and still have the same problem.

does anyone know what else could cause this problem, I was thinking maybe a short???.....I'm not good w/ electrical problems though.

Any help is appreciated, this is a real pain my a**

Thanks

Steve
sounds like the starter solenoid is bad

·
Foxaholic
7,351 Posts
Test for power at the red wire in the center of the starter solenoid when the key is turned to the "start" position. If there is power then the solenoid is bad.

·
Full tilt boogie !!
10,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, I will check that out.

Thanks
Steve

·
Full tilt boogie !!
10,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok.....yes there is power to the red wire going to the solenoid when the key is in the start position. So this means the solenoid is bad?

Steve

·
Full tilt boogie !!
10,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok....i replaced the solenoid and it still wont star w/o jumping across at the solenoid,

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,668 Posts
are you sure you tested the right wire. he was talking about the one that pulls off not bolted. You should have power there when the ign. is in the start position. If you dont then its the ignition switch.

·
Full tilt boogie !!
10,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok......so your talkin about the wire on top of the solenoid that has a 90 degree boot on it, that I have to pull off when i jump it across???.......that being the case then , yes i did test the wrong wire.

thanks

·
Registered
168 Posts
Txstang1 said:
ok......so your talkin about the wire on top of the solenoid that has a 90 degree boot on it, that I have to pull off when i jump it across???.......that being the case then , yes i did test the wrong wire.

thanks
No bro! You have to check for 12v on tha wire w/ the boot on it when you turn the key like you are starting it. It will take 2 people to test this unless you have a meter w/ long leads.

·
Full tilt boogie !!
10,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, I checked for blown fuses already.

I checked the wire with the 90 degree boot on it, with my wife holding the key in the start position and did not get power (using a test light).

So....new solenoid, new clutch starter switch, no blown fuses and no power to the wire w/ da boot on it.

Guess I 'll go get a ignition switch tomorrow and see whats up..

Thanks

Steve

·
Foxaholic
7,351 Posts
Check to see if it has been replaced on your car before. There was a recall on that part for some fox body models. Just call a dealer and give them your VIN.

·
4 STAGES BIG N' DRY
7,159 Posts
Bad89stang said:
Check to see if it has been replaced on your car before. There was a recall on that part for some fox body models. Just call a dealer and give them your VIN.

Most recalls are only surviceable for up to 7 years.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Jetfast50 said:
Might want to put a jumper on the pedal switch/neutral saftey switch, and recheck the voltage.
Yes, you are loosing voltage some wear on the solonoid control circuit. The clutch switch is probably next place to look.:) SORRY, you said you DID replace the clutch switch. Maybe it's the ignition switch in the steering column itself. All I know is it doesn't really sound like the solonoid on the firewall because you don't even have power going to it to energize the solonoid.

·
Full tilt boogie !!
10,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok....I''ll call ford and see if it has been replaced, I've had the car for 9 yrs and its hasn't been replaced during that period, the ignition switch that is.

Thanks

Steve

1 - 20 of 28 Posts