DFW Mustang Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
T-MINUS
28,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where is a car wash in allen/mckinney/plano that uses an old style wand that actually works and has high pressure?

The one i went to in mckinney changed and now has a wand that injects air or splits the water effectively killing the pressure

------------------
1988 GT white/grey.
getting ready to enter project status
1998 GT yellow/black
k&n, steeda tri-ax, yanked silencer, 3.73's, straight pipes. 195rwhp/275rwtq

·
Premium Member
32,085 Posts
Before this gets moved to the Details Forum..

I know alot of you guys use those high pressure car washes. I dunno how GC2-like you are about your finish, but that's alot of pressure coming out of those things that I wouldn't want hitting my paint. I finally found a decent one that attaches to the hose and fills up with soap. That's what you really need. Use that with a mitt to wash. These washers are ideal b/c they don't have a high PSI, but yet concentrate the stream down so that it's more effective than your standard water garden nozzle. Also, don't want to do the ole bucket routine, you're just putting dirty water back on your car.

·
Rolling with the homies
43,268 Posts
Yup, getting moved

------------------
- Jose
Co-Founder DFW Stangs

http://www.dfwstangs.net

"Is it because I'm Mexican?????"

G

·
Yeah, don't use high pressure. Kills cars. Don't go to car washes either... concentrated soap is no good for wax. And combine that with high pressure, then guys drying it with non-cotton towels, rubbing in the dirt. No good for your paint.

------------------
2000 Silver Lightning
#2798 of 4966
Born on date: May 9, 2000
Email: [email protected]

Mods: SnugLid, 20% tint, Airaid, Slush Mats, Pioneer Speakers, Zaino

My Zing Album:
http://www.zing.com/album/?id=4292665015

G

·
GE and Zeus are on the path to car washing total conciousness

The secret to a superior hand wash is to make sure that after you have rinsed, not power-washed, but rinsed the surface as GE says you don't just move the dirt around.

Have a minimum of two mits (I prefer the wool ones) this is in case you happen to drop one and get it dirty, and two buckets. Fill one bucket with plain water (this is your mit rinse bucket) and the other with some of your fave car wash (ArmorAll, Mothers, Meguires, etc.) The trick is to get a lot of suds in that bucket because you want the suds to lift the dirt off the surface so you can rinse it away. Start with the upper surfaces and work your way down. Do one section at a time and rinse the mit in the plain water frequently.

To dry, get the bulk of the water off with the Absorber, then finish up with 100% cotton bath towels.

------------------

Tang 350
66 GT350 Replica (drives like it's pissed off)
97 3.8L Convertible
'89 Silver Anniversary 5.0LX
all are Zainoed weekly

·
T-MINUS
28,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if i had a place to handwash, I would.

G

·
Just find a buddy with a house

------------------

Tang 350
97 3.8L Convertible
all are Zainoed weekly

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
tang350, do you use a sponge? what are these mits you speak of and where can I get them, I am pretty sure I have seen them, just want confirmation

G

·
Don't mess with the sponges. Go to Auto Zone and get a couple of those fuzzy beige colored wool mits. It'll have the soft wool on one side and a nylon netting on the back (good for bugs n' stuff) I think they're about $5.00 each.

------------------

Tang 350
97 3.8L Convertible
all are Zainoed weekly

·
Premium Member
32,085 Posts
I still don't like the whole bucket routine. I've used the wand with the soap dispenser lately and like it better. With a bucket(s) you can still get dirty water on the car.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Originally posted by GE:
I still don't like the whole bucket routine. I've used the wand with the soap dispenser lately and like it better. With a bucket(s) you can still get dirty water on the car.
Geoff all you got to do is have 2 buckets one with the suds and the other with clean water to rinse the sponge or mit off in. Then all you have to do is rinse and refill the rinse bucket to keep dirt off the car. That method has been working great for me.

·
Premium Member
32,085 Posts
I realize that, but why keep refilling the rinse bucket? You'd still get some dirty water on the car. I like the wand with soap dispenser, you don't have to worry about any silly bucket.

·
Registered
453 Posts
only problem with the wand is that it doesn't really wipe dirt off of the car very well, where as a mit or sponge comes into contact with the car effectivly wiping dirt away. I tried the wand and didn't like the dirt on my absorber when I went to dry.

·
Premium Member
32,085 Posts
hahaha. Well, I guess I should clarify that. I use the wand and a mitt. I rinse, soap it up, then go over it with a mitt, and rinse. Keep the mitt clean once I rinse.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Ok thanks for the clarification Geoff I thought you actually bought into that BS one step wash stuff in the bottle. I tried that stuff once, and it said you didn't need to use a mit or sponge... Bullshit! My poor white cotton towels were brown by the time I got done "drying" the car. I promptly took that stuff back to the store for a refund.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Where is a car wash in allen/mckinney/plano that uses an old style wand that actually works and has high pressure?

The one i went to in mckinney changed and now has a wand that injects air or splits the water effectively killing the pressure

------------------
1988 GT white/grey.
getting ready to enter project status
1998 GT yellow/black
k&n, steeda tri-ax, yanked silencer, 3.73's, straight pipes. 195rwhp/275rwtq
Rich Leather Cleaner & Conditioner at signature detailers:
Signature detailers is a household name for car folks, as they produce consistently good car care products. Their Rich Leather Cleaner & Conditioner is a handy two-in-one mixture, which cleans leather surfaces while spreading oils to moisturize and condition worn spots. This kit comes with two bottles and cloth of microfibre.
#signaturedetailing #carewashernearme #cardetailinginArlingtonva

·
Registered
4 Posts
Rich Leather Cleaner & Conditioner at signature detailers:
Signature detailers is a household name for car folks, as they produce consistently good car care products. Their Rich Leather Cleaner & Conditioner is a handy two-in-one mixture, which cleans leather surfaces while spreading oils to moisturize and condition worn spots. This kit comes with two bottles and cloth of microfibre.
#signaturedetailing #carewashernearme #cardetailinginArlingtonva
Mobile Car Detailing Columbia Md - A Perfect Shine
Awesome.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts