DFW 'Stang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what I hear, a $50 capacitor is pretty much just as good as a $200 capacitor... Can anyone tell me where I can buy a cheap capacitor?
I am running 1 USAccoustics USA2300, bridged at (supposedly) 800 watts/4ohms.
Just trying to eliminate the typical light surge. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
14,894 Posts
no, a cheap capacitor is not "just as good" as a nice capacitor, nice capacitors are made of better quality components, in clean environments, and basically, IMO, you're probably throwing money away, either way.

get an optima battery first.

·
duh...duh....duh
9,543 Posts
OneBadWagon said:
get an optima battery first.
OBW seems to know his stereos. I too was going to buy a cap for the "cool" effect, but was advised against it. At the time I did not want to admit it was simply for looks. (I like the numbers and stuff.) Anyway, several people advised me to upgrade the battery and alt prior to a cap. Either way, it is not a bad idea to upgrade your battery.

The purpose of this post, is to agree with OBW and advise you to do the battery upgrade.

Take care,

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
alright... thats cool, I can apprecitate a smartass comment everyone once in awhile. Have to admit, there are alot of people who ask for advice, only to do exactly the opposite.

·
Procrastination Racing
9,224 Posts
While the red is not deep cycle, it has 3 times the warranty. If you do not play the system for long periods of time with the engine off, I would go with the red top.

·
Premium Member
1,940 Posts
i agree with the battery and alternator upgrade. yes the capacitor stores power for capacitive discharge, but the charging system still has to recharge the cap as well as run all of the OEM electronics and whatever else you have wired in. by getting a cap, more oftern than not you are making the problem worse. after the battery and alternator, if you are still having charging issues, the next step is a BATT cap..

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks to everyone for the advice... glad that I posted the question before wasting 150 bux on a capacitor.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts