DFW Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have very loud sucking noise coming from my mass air meter. It makes the same sound as a bearing going out on a pully or somthing. I have eliminated that idea by taking the belt off and starting the car. I have tried different air filters with no luck. This is very annoying and very loud. I can hear it over my exaust when driving and my car is really loud. This is a 76mm C&L calibrated for 30's. Any ideas? Im pretty sure I dont have a vaccum leak but maybe Im missing somthing. All seem to start when I removed the smog pump but could be a coincidence.

·
heavy weight
267 Posts
i believe once you get over 65mm it does this . routing the air filter into the fender well may help

·
11-05-09
21,427 Posts
It's the Intake Vacuum.. Re-Routing the filter just moves the noise source fatrher away from you, which, didn't work on my GT, the noise was still Audible. I just got used to it, and I think it sound good.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Jason, get my wife out from under the hood and the sound will stop;)

·
Registered
814 Posts
The idle air control (IAC) solenoid can make a noise like this when it's going bad. If you disconnect it (give it throttle so it won't die) and the problem goes away, then replace the part.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ill try the IAC tomorrow.

I dont know how your wife got there, but she needs to quiet down.:D

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
whistling

my mass air makes the same noise when I give it gas. get used to it.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You guys dont understand. I dont think this is normal. It is extremely loud!! I can hear the sucking when Im in the house. Car runs fine. Im pretty damn sure it isnt a vaccuum leak. The noise isnt anywhere near the vaccum lines. Its right at the entrance of the mass air meter.

·
YnoT
1,471 Posts
maybe a small hole or crack in the MAF housing try spraying brake kleen or carb cleaner on it and aroud it if idle goes up then you have a leak.

·
Registered
378 Posts
:eek: noisy mass air= .........Kaboom.
j/k the noise is fine, your too picky....just turn up your stereo.
btw my car is taking a little longer than i expected i didnt know my heads were trashed beyond repair but it will work out im picking up some decent iron heads tommmorow.

I'll be showing you my tail lights before too long.:D

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
seriously its way too loud. Thats too bad about your heads. Got any short blocks you want to sell:D Shoot me a price. All im really wanting is block crank and rods.

·
heavy weight
267 Posts
i had the same problem on my 94 lightning i tried the drill a hole in the butter fly but it didn't work. i got use to it .
when i would turn it off it sounded like a turbine whistling untill the pressure was relieved off the intake . thought it sounded pretty neat . it would startle people when i was next to them if i just gave it enough gas to make it suck air . i would tell them i was goining to suck them dowm the intake and out the exhaust.LOL
my wife did hate it
ken

·
Registered
803 Posts
Do you have a metal intake hose or open filter? if so its just the whistleing noise that is made by the natural vacume of the motor. When i am on the highway and my throtle is just bearly open, i can hear the car whitleing. I think it sounds cool!

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Open filter. I can hear it at idle. Sounds just like a bearing that has gone bad. I have heard the whistle you guys are talking about....mine is much louder

1 - 17 of 17 Posts