DFW Mustang Forums banner
21 - 40 of 821 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I sure as hell wouldn't. If he cut the guy's head off and mounted it on a stake in his front yard I might indict him for disorderly conduct.
Once again, you put it in words like few others could.

·
Premium Member
18,368 Posts
I had my civilian hat on when I responded. Would you indict him for shooting the second burglar? I sure would like to hear from someone who is inclined to and yes, I know we are just going off of the story as printed and all.
Does the Grand Jury have to be unanimous to indict? How does that work?

·
Premium Member
14,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Does the Grand Jury have to be unanimous to indict? How does that work?
I am not sure, but I do not think it has to be unanimous. Anyone know for sure?

·
PAN
20,154 Posts
I sure as hell wouldn't. If he cut the guy's head off and mounted it on a stake in his front yard I might indict him for disorderly conduct.
I'd be leaning more towards littering IF it fell over...

And that dude should have spent just a tiny bit more time on the range... :scool:

And why would the vote on a grand jury be any different than that of a regular jury?

·
Doughnut Lover!
2,736 Posts
I'd be leaning more towards littering IF it fell over...

And that dude should have spent just a tiny bit more time on the range... :scool:

And why would the vote on a grand jury be any different than that of a regular jury?
Would it be littering if it's biodegradable?

·
I'm going Commando
7,526 Posts
I had my civilian hat on when I responded. Would you indict him for shooting the second burglar? I sure would like to hear from someone who is inclined to and yes, I know we are just going off of the story as printed and all.
I don't know what I would do. I certainly think that any random non-gunowner could easily be persuaded to think that this was a man taking the law into his own hands. This isn't the Wild West, the homeowner isn't Dirty Harry, and people feel sorry for thieving people. It's why our justice system sucks. Put the members of DFWstangs on the jury and no-one in a sports car gets a ticket and all ricers do. This guy gets off with a "thanks a lot, duder" and "stupid motherfuckers" go to jail for looking at white women. But this certainly isn't a cross-section of America. If I were picking jurors for the prosecution no CHL holders would be on the jury. Don't forget they just have to convince a couple people "beyond a reasonable doubt".
Do I want this guy in jail? No. But did he follow the law? Probably not.

·
LUCIFER
5,462 Posts
One minute your hear something like this & it makes you proud when the victims try and protect themselves. Then the next minute the victim himself is on trial for the same thing.

How we can have faith in our laws

·
ese mi rey...
2,252 Posts

·
Premium Member
29,396 Posts
Fuck Thieves. It starts as petty theft and then moves up in the criminal enterprise as far as im concerned. If they treated them like they did in the Eastern part of the world and chopped of body parts and caned, this shit wouldnt occur so frequently. Personally I think catching a bullet would be better.

·
Worship me
34,345 Posts
I don't think there are many people who, when taking the story at face value, would indict. Possibly convicted felons. But that all changes when you get to the court room and the prosecutor starts talking about the scary crazy man that went on a rampage.

·
Notorious PIG
1,612 Posts
I have been to a few GJ's and for the most part it is an older crowd. You present what you have and they ask you a few questions and then they vote on it. Majority Rules(its been a while). It will most likely be a detective presenting the case to the GJ and you can imagine who he will side with when the questions begin. Them old people can be pretty funny too and usually have no sympathy for burglars.. When I was there it is kind of like when you watch congress work over some guy thats up for appointment. Very informal and they sit around an BS then either agree or disagree.

·
Premium Member
1,940 Posts
New Castle Doctrine says you no longer have to drag them in the house.
I don't think its as clear cut as that. It is 2 AM and I've had a few beers. But I believe the part about them being outside of your house reads something like:

A. If they are on your property and you feel your life is in danger you have the right to protect yourself and your belongings

B. If they have robbed you and you feel the only means of regaining possession of the stolen goods is lethal force, you are able to do so. I.E. that crackhead is running down the street with your big screen and you feel the only way you can retrieve it is to use lethal force, you can do so.

Again, loose translation...

21 - 40 of 821 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.