DFW Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 224 Posts

·
Painting Your House
10,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son ask me last night if he could have one of my beers. I said, "sure." He drank the one beer and went to a park almost an hour later just to chill by himself.
This was about 1 am this morning. A Southlake cop comes out and starts giving him a hard time because he was there past park hours. The cop then performs a half ass field sobriety test (light in eyes) and says, "your eyes are red", and takes him to jail for a PI. WTF? A PI for one beer an hour later?

He ask the officer several times to let him blow so that he could prove his innocence. He again ask during booking. I'm pissed!

Question is, what the hell can we/he do? Can he beat this? This is total bull shit.

·
RUN BABY RUN!!!
1,111 Posts
My son ask me last night if he could have one of my beers. I said, "sure." He drank the one beer and went to a park almost an hour later just to chill by himself.
This was about 1 am this morning. A Southlake cop comes out and starts giving him a hard time because he was there past park hours. The cop then performs a half ass field sobriety test (light in eyes) and says, "your eyes are red", and takes him to jail for a PI. WTF? A PI for one beer an hour later?

He ask the officer several times to let him blow so that he could prove his innocence. He again ask during booking. I'm pissed!

Question is, what the hell can we/he do? Can he beat this? This is total bull shit.
how old is your son?

·
Painting Your House
10,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
569 Posts
A PI arrest is a judgment call pure and simple. Most of the time they turn people lose after 8 to 10 hours of sitting in the drunk tank without making them post a bond. There is nothing that can be done about it.

It is not BS; it is just the law.

·
Painting Your House
10,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A PI arrest is a judgment call pure and simple. Most of the time they turn people lose after 8 to 10 hours of sitting in the drunk tank without making them post a bond. There is nothing that can be done about it.

The law? I question the judgment of this cop. Obviously he was just being a ass. WTF would you put someone in jail when they are voluntarily asking to blow?

·
Lifer
12,430 Posts

1. Was there a park curfew? Was he out there after curfew/park hours?

2. What was your son's attitude?

3. Are you sure he didn't stop and buy more beers on the way to the park?

4. There is no blowing for PI. It's the officer's opinion on if he is a danger to himself/others or not. BAC only comes into play for DWI.

Remember, you only have one side of the story, your son's, and it is going to be skewed, and you are going to be biased. Even total choir boys have bad days.

Or, he could have run into one of Southlake's finest pricks.

You could always have your son contact the officer's supervisor and ask about the arrest and see if there was any video made in the field.

·
Banned
10,374 Posts

Nothing can be done? How about a blow test or draw blood? That's bullshit. Why would a PI be treated any differently than a DWI? Intoxication is intoxication...

·
Motorboat'n Is What I Do!
6,206 Posts
The law? I question the judgment of this cop. Obviously he was just being a ass. WTF would you put someone in jail when they are voluntarily asking to blow?
Same shit happened to me when I was 18 and I haven't even been drinking at all. I asked for the breathalizer and everything. They wouldn't give me shit and I had to pay a fine to get out. Total bs and there is really nothing you can do about it.

·
Painting Your House
10,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1. Was there a park curfew? Was he out there after curfew/park hours?

2. What was your son's attitude?

3. Are you sure he didn't stop and buy more beers on the way to the park?

4. There is no blowing for PI. It's the officer's opinion on if he is a danger to himself/others or not. BAC only comes into play for DWI.

Remember, you only have one side of the story, your son's. Even total choir boys have bad days.

Or, he could have run into one of Southlake's finest pricks.
Thanks for chiming in. My son (this one) is as docile as they come. All yes sir no sir kind of guy. He is very honest with me and assures me that he only had the one beer here at the house. I believe that. I might question this from some of my other boys, but not Brandon.

Yes, he was there after curfew hours. I have had a few rum ins myself with a few Southlake's boys in the same area trying to regulate my Corp. hunting privileges.

·
Lifer
12,430 Posts
Nothing can be done? How about a blow test or draw blood? That's bullshit. Why would a PI be treated any differently than a DWI? Intoxication is intoxication...
The difference is a Class B misdomeanor or higher that stays on your record, or a Class C ticket that no one would ever know about unless they did some serious digging.

The standard for a DWI is much, much higher than a PI.

·
Lifer
12,430 Posts
Does this really make sense? How can "opinions" get someone arrested? Seems a little gray to me...
You would have really pitched a fit 30 years ago. LEOs could arrest someone for "Investigation of ???? (Burglary, Larceny, etc) and the jail could legally hold them for 72 hours while an "investigation" was conducted. All it really was, was a tool to throw someone's ass in jail for 3 days for "POP" (Pissing off Police). Rarely was a real investigation done.

·
Painting Your House
10,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My son goes to this park often to chill and sometimes fishes the pond. I have gone out there several times to visit with him. Its just a place he likes to get out to think and have some quiet time. I use to do the same thing.

·
Lifer
12,430 Posts
Thanks for chiming in. My son (this one) is as docile as they come. All yes sir no sir kind of guy. He is very honest with me and assures me that he only had the one beer here at the house. I believe that. I might question this from some of my other boys, but not Brandon.

Yes, he was there after curfew hours. I have had a few rum ins myself with a few Southlake's boys in the same area trying to regulate my Corp. hunting privileges.
I hate to ask, but PI can cover alcohol as well as drugs. Has he ever been known to take drugs?

Maybe he did get a little testy? Are you saying that it's impossible for him to be even a little wise ass?

I can't see throwing someone in jail for PI when they aren't, but even I'm not naieve enough to know it happens.

I would call his supervisor and talk to him/her. Ask to make a complaint if you think that it was an abuse of power. Be ready to FOI (Freedom of Information) request that all of that officer's PI arrests in the last 2 years, ask to speak to the jail personnel that booked your son in (they usually know if it's a good PI or not) and see if you can FOI any of the jail video to prove that he wasn't really PI.

·
Banned
10,374 Posts
You would have really pitched a fit 30 years ago. LEOs could arrest someone for "Investigation of ???? (Burglary, Larceny, etc) and the jail could legally hold them for 72 hours while an "investigation" was conducted. All it really was, was a tool to throw someone's ass in jail for 3 days for "POP" (Pissing off Police). Rarely was a real investigation done.
Dang, that's nuts. I'm all for the police keeping the public safe, but I'm of the opinion that laws should be clearly defined and set limits established. The criteria for being arrested for intoxication behind the wheel should be the same as being arrested for PI. Of course the severity of the crimes are much different, but it is the same crime, just in different places. And he was arrested, not like this was just a citation. Sucks for him.

1 - 20 of 224 Posts