• No way

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • What the hell for???

Votes: 4 20.0%
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Custom Title
16,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So who all eats Black Eyed Peas for New Years? I never heard of that "good luck tradition" until I moved to Texas, then a few years back my Mom asked me if I was having some for New Years. I was like, WTH, we never did that when I was a kid at home??? Oh well, I'll be having some, they taste good anyways, a little vinegar and oil and they are good to go!

· Custom Title
16,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rue said:
Whats up Yellow! The way I think about it is, what could it hurt? Now, WHERE ARE MY BEANS DAMN IT? lol.
Got a can in the kitchen cubbard right now!
Sam old story here, so what's up with u Rue? Need to have a BD's gtg with HH, you and my wife some time!

· Custom Title
16,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Marisa said:
yummm...black eyed peas with chow chow (anyone know what the hell I'm talking about when I say that?) and cornbread.... how can anything be bad when you're eating that?
I'll guess chorizo???:confused:

· Custom Title
16,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Forrest said:
only chow chow I've ever had was like a salsa...

chorizo is sausage
Black Eyes peas and salsa sounds :eek:
I've seen them with salt pork, or bacon, or the plain old vinegar and oil like I 'chow' them down:D

· Premium Member
10,331 Posts
Okay, y’all. Time for a lesson in Southern eating. The Southern style chow-chow to which I referred is a relish made with finely chopped cabbage, green tomatoes, onions, peppers, vinegar, salt, turmeric, and a sweetener.
(Think pickled cabbage slaw or cabbage chutney.) It is ordinarily labeled “mild” or “hot” and stocked among or near the pickles in the grocery store.
It is different from Chinese chow-chow, which is more like fruit preserves seasoned with ginger and mustard.

:)

· World Record Holder!
11,061 Posts
yellowstang said:
Got a can in the kitchen cubbard right now!
Sam old story here, so what's up with u Rue? Need to have a BD's gtg with HH, you and my wife some time!
A can. Ewwwwweeeeeeee!!

Some dried black eyed peas, some pork spare ribs, some okra, some salt and water in a crock pot for about eight hours. That's black eyed peas!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.