DFW 'Stang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am working on an 89 lx and I plan on making it a purely drag car since I have a daily driver. I am new to mustangs and would like to pick your brains.

I want the best front and rear suspension setups I can get. Now I know that money doesn't always buy the best so what is the best bank for the buck? What K member is the best for the money? I really don't want to go w/ coilovers so why should I? What are the best springs? what are the best control arms? Rear sway bar etc. Tell me what you think are the best and why.

TIA

·
Party at the moon tower
1,788 Posts
For a cheap ass budget track car I'd get like 90/10 front 50/50 rear lakewood shocks, some 4cyc front springs v8 rear springs, ditch the front sway bar, pick up some used upper and lower control arms in the forsale forum, and get some sticky tires.

And ditch as much weight out of the car as you can weight savings=free mod.

·
Rookie
14,219 Posts
chevyhater01 said:
For a cheap ass budget track car I'd get like 90/10 front 50/50 rear lakewood shocks, some 4cyc front springs v8 rear springs, ditch the front sway bar, pick up some used upper and lower control arms in the forsale forum, and get some sticky tires.

And ditch as much weight out of the car as you can weight savings=free mod.

he pretty much summed it up. I had all that tell i switched to D&D k member and coilovers.
and dont forget some subframe connectors.

·
Ya Dats my Wifey!!!
5,806 Posts
yeah... what they both said!!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what brand control arm are the best or are they all basicly the same?

·
Party at the moon tower
1,788 Posts
There all alittle different just depends how much money you want to spend you could shell out extra cash and buy adjustables so you can change pinon angle also you can buy ride height adjustable ones to fit a taller tire. I know alot of people use southside control arms I've never used them though I did like the BBK set I had.

Another thing I'd look into is getting the torque boxes welded up thats a pretty important detail once you start racing hard.

·
American Idol
2,888 Posts
Don't forget an anti-roll bar. The car will launch straighter and pick up some e.t. in the 60'.

·
Chassis Service
3,328 Posts
if you wanted to spend the money once i would recommed the following:

AJE full front suspension,(k-member, a-arms, drop spindles, strut cartridges, and coil overs)
Wolfe racecraft lower control arms
Baseline suspension upper control arms(heavy duty kit)
single sway bar
10 pt cage
through the floor subframes.

·
Registered
696 Posts
What they said LOL

My old suspension setup:

90/10 lakewood struts up front
4 cylinder springs up front
removed front sway bar (along with smog and other misc weight items)
Stock rear GT springs with an airbag in each spring
stock rear control arms with poly bushings
stock rear sway bar and quad shocks in place

1.59 sixty foot n/a and 1.45 sixty foot on a 150 shot of nitrous! 26x10x15 ET Drags and skinnies up front.
Its proven and it works!

Current suspension, same exact rear setup
D&D Tubular K-member and a-arms, same lakewood struts and granatelli coil-over kit with 14" 175 lb springs. I'm looking to swap the springs out with some 135 lb springs, the 175 lbers are pretty stiff for my car being the front end is fairly light weight, I think a 135 will help me pick up some 60 ft.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts