DFW Mustang Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to install a set of BBK Longtubes in my 86 mustang and was wondering if anyone has any advice about the install. Will I need to tilt the motor or remove the steering shaft at all? What about the dipstick tube?

Some of you might say to use the instructions, but I bought them used and don't have any. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

· Registered
655 Posts
go to mustangworld, katter is doing it right now and has a thread on it. he is in the process of doing it right now.

· Registered
346 Posts
i have the exact same longtubes and yes u will have to tilt the motor, for sure on the pass side, and most likely on the driver side, i would recommend using some silicon if you want them to seal for more then a month, or if you drive hard, i have noticed that the only thing that seals for good when i am racing a lot is silicon, dipstick might be in the way, but other than that tilting the motor is the only thing i can think of that you will have to do prior to installation

· Sir Clavin
3,127 Posts
I removed the starter on mine when I did the passenger side. I also had to lift the engine a little. The driver side is very easy once you lift the engine. The dipstick will have to be removed. I would reccomend not using the crappy gaskets that come with the headers though.

· Registered
655 Posts
not really for advice just more opinions. they are all flamers there.

G

·
bgsvt24 said:
i would recommend using some silicon if you want them to seal for more then a month, or if you drive hard, i have noticed that the only thing that seals for good when i am racing a lot is silicon
bgsvt24,
Are you saying the header gaskets blow out frequently??? Where, at the head ports or collector...or Both??:confused:

If this is the case, then some thing is flawed with the design of the header wouldn't you think?

My '89 LX has over 160,000 miles on the original head port gaskets (Ford Racing long tube headers installed new in March of '91)and continue to run leak free:D

Thanks for the infomation, as I have decided not to purchace the BBK brand. I good header should not require replacing the gaskets monthly in frequency:eek:

Has anyone got any longevity stats on the hooker longtube headers for our Fox bodies??

I know KOOK'S customs are prolly the best and least affordable on the market today

Thank you,

· Pimp Juice ca. 1997
7,114 Posts
I had to remove the passenger side motor mount, jack the engine up until it hit the firewall, remove the starter, and then I could barely squeeze it out.

The driver side is easy, you don't need to worry about the dipstick (it pulls right out anyways) or the steering column. You can work around that.

· OLD SCHOOL crew
11,186 Posts
My BBK's were easy to install, but then again the motor wasn't in the car yet :D

· Pimp Juice ca. 1997
7,114 Posts
HobieF3 said:
My BBK's were easy to install, but then again the motor wasn't in the car yet :D
yeah, that usually helps :rolleyes:

· Registered
346 Posts
regarding the gaskets blowing out, i am talking about if you drive your car hard then some silicon will keep them sealed even under high pressures, i do also have a blower on my car which i am sure isnt helping them stay sealed, but i am mainly talking about driving pretty hard like downshifting to race and whatnot, never had a problem at the collector just at the head ports, dont think there is a flaw in design, just a flaw in my driving habits, figured i would warn anybody else who does drve hard that there is a good possibility that they will blow out without silicon

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.