DFW Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i got a ? if i leave my car to sit for a couple days the battery dies , but if i start it daily it dont die is that normal or is there something wrong !

·
Party at the moon tower
1,788 Posts
I'd check to make sure theirs nothing drawing power while its sitting check to see if anything is still running like lights and etc.

·
gotta love hotties
1,093 Posts
this is what is known as an electric draw. check your system for a draw. If it has one while the car is turned off and all electrical consumers switched off, then you have an electronic device that is consuming power. Check for a bad trunk light switch which can leave your trunk light on even when it is closed, also do you have an aftermarket radio? Just go through and check everything and make sure things are off when they are supposed to be. The reason this doesnt happen when you start it daily is b/c when you start it up, your alternator recharges your battery.

If there is NO draw, then replace the battery, it may have a bad cell. Or if it is a maintenance type battery where you can check the electrolyte levels, open the caps up and make sure they are all full. If not, top off with water and charge the battery.

Hope this helps bro. If you have any more questions pm me and I can help.

Gotta love being ASE certified:)

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
pm sent

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok sumthing is draing my battery , does any body know what could be draining my battery !

·
Procrastination Racing
9,224 Posts
Disconnect the positive terminal. Connect one end of a test light to the positive terminal on the battery and the other end to the positive cable. The test light will glow brightly if there is a large draw. Start pulling fuses until the light goes out or gets very dim. Then you will know what circuit the draw is on.

Also, load test the battery at batteries plus or other location.

·
Bottle Fed
1,865 Posts
EW said:
Disconnect the positive terminal. Connect one end of a test light to the positive terminal on the battery and the other end to the positive cable. The test light will glow brightly if there is a large draw. Start pulling fuses until the light goes out or gets very dim. Then you will know what circuit the draw is on.
ive got the same problem!i tried the above by pulling fuses but the light stayed bright:( any more things i can try..? :confused:

·
Bottle Fed
1,865 Posts
its in a 85 coupe- and i did pull every fuse in the fuse panel.thanks for helping--is there another fuse box i missed?

·
Banned
31,758 Posts
nope, I was talking to the guy who started reading out of his book about "you have a drain on the batter" (really!??!) and then bragged about his ASE certification... all he did was say "check everything", but he failed to mention the most common problem when this occurs. the voltage regulator.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts