DFW Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if the factory spider gears are a harder and stronger metal, than the normal 28 spline surface on the axles?
Because I'am thinking my axle splines are wore and making a clunking noise in my rear end. Ive had new shims and all new berrings replaced in the rear end. So this is the last thing that would be loose. I should have looked harder when the shop had it out.
Just seeing if the gears would be wore as bad as the axle splines... any know?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Couldn't be the way you rebuilt the t-lok and treated it, could it? 'Spider' gears (correct term: pinion gears), or are you talking about the side gears that the axles mate into? I've never seen a side gear damaged from contact stresses to the point that it would create a 'clink'...

'Clunking' is normally a condition created by excess backlash in the rear and drivetrain. In fifth gear, if your backlash is .010" or greater, the clunking can be quite noticable...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
here

No, the traction lock is fine...no noise around corners. And yes im talking about the two end gears hooking into the alxes... There was wear on my axle spilnes.. and wondering if the end gears are wore where they mesh in also.....? The pinion and ring gear are at 12 degrees. The clunk is noticable at lower speeds, but when im going 75 or higher you cant tell.. because the wheels are spinning to fast theres no play to clunk. (clunks, when let off fast, and gased.. also when shifting. Its has been doing it sence i bought the car. The guy at the shop said that between 10 and 18 degrees was good for backlash...

·
Registered
124 Posts
You will see wear on the axle splines; that's common. Sight down the splines for and check for twisting, as a precaution. Again, I've never seen side gears wear to the point that they created a clunk. Are you running stock axles? If so, check them carefully at the splines and where the bearings ride; they tend to fret quite often.

Have you checked pinion bearing preload? It should be about 8 in-lbs with used bearings; if you have any foer and aft play, you need to correct that ASAP...

The factory calls for .008" to .015" backlash, so your .012" shouldn't be an issue...

I'd check pinion bearings first...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
all new

Theres all new berrings in the rearend... the shop that installed them said that they didnt have to re-set the backlash that it was correct after the new berrings were installed. A long time before i bought the car , the owner had 3.55:1 gears installed. THe clunks been sence i bought it. Dammit its pissing me off when i shift! the wear pattern is in the center also! I dont know what it is if its not the axles.. :(

·
Registered
124 Posts
Doesn't matter if the bearings are all new or not; double check the piniojn bearing preload. It's easy to get right, and easier to get wrong...

I'm not trying to argue with you, I'm trying to help; I've done about two dozen gear installs in the last two years, and 'think' I know a bit about them...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I know

I know, and ive been waiting for your replies :) to help me figure this out. I have the 93 Ford Shop manual, but how would i check the berring preload? the backlash is at 12, and the pattern on the gears was right in the center of the gear blade. (thanks)
Also theres a slight wine when driving, that wasnt there before...But i do have poly control arm bushings that are hard, and i put them in 2 days before I took the car in to get worked on. The rear end was wore into a position and didnt make noise, but when i put the poly bushings in all hell went! And my drivers carrier berring made noise, and thats why i had it rebuilt... damn bushings!! :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts