1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Punk Ass Kid
3,772 Posts
No I don't think they're.

·
Registered
714 Posts
it is for vibration. I used the same driveshaft for my t-5 , aod , and tremec 3550

·
Registered
445 Posts
Yes, they are the same. I converted my wife's 90 GT AOD to a T5 and the driveshaft is the perfect length.

FWIW, I've owned 5.0 AOD, 5.0 T5, 2.3 Auto, and 2.3 T5 cars and all driveshafts and u joints were the same except the 2.3 auto.

·
Registered
445 Posts
No I don't think they're.
Mike, don't listen to AZ computers on Fox Mustang U joints, they are wrong. I'm a commercial manager there and have been there for 8 yrs, while owning every motor/tranny combo fox, and the system STILL lists wrong u joints for some foxes. FYI. Trust me!

·
Punk Ass Kid
3,772 Posts
Mike, don't listen to AZ computers on Fox Mustang U joints, they are wrong. I'm a commercial manager there and have been there for 8 yrs, while owning every motor/tranny combo fox, and the system STILL lists wrong u joints for some foxes. FYI. Trust me!
Found that out earlier this year.

Went and knocked my old ones out and bam, that duralast was WAY to big.

·
Registered
445 Posts
so anyone got one laying around
Sorry, don't have one at the moment. I do have one for a 96 3.8 T5 but I'm not sure if it will work. If it will, I will let it go cheap.

Found that out earlier this year.

Went and knocked my old ones out and bam, that duralast was WAY to big.
I've reported that error to SMS probably 10 times, even as far back as about 7 years ago and they STILL won't fix that shit. It just pisses me off that it makes non-mustang people sell the wrong shit. If an employee is not a Mustang guy and someone comes in to buy a 2.3 T5 u joint, they will get the wrong part and will be back and be pissed off. At least I know what to sell these people.

Even this motherfucker http://www.amazon.com/Official-Ford-Mustang-5-0-Performance/dp/0837602106 tells you so, even though I found out myself before owning this MUST HAVE book.

·
Banned
2,079 Posts
As mentioned they are not identical due to stock AOD cars coming with the vibration damper on the front of the automagic drive shaft. That said, they are still interchangeable, same length and diameter.

·
Registered
445 Posts
As mentioned they are not identical due to stock AOD cars coming with the vibration damper on the front of the automagic drive shaft. That said, they are still interchangeable, same length and diameter.
All except the 2.3 auto.

·
Premium Member
18,368 Posts
When I did my AOD-to-T5 swap, I bought a brand new aluminum FMS unit, complete with new U-joints installed.

·
Registered
445 Posts
thats cuz they have that weak ass a4ld isnt it.
Yeah I guess so.

I've had an 87 5.0 T5, an 87 2.3 T5, an 86 5.0 T5, the 90 5.0 AOD that I converted to a T5, and a 93 2.3 auto. The only thing I saw different was the 2.3 auto in the 93. The 5.0 auto, 5.0 T5, and the 2.3 T5 all had the same shit underneath with the exception of the 5.0 auto that we converted to a T5 still has that damper on it 5 years later, and the 2.3 auto, it was completely differerent driveshaft.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes they are the same. The auto drive shaft will have a big damper ring on the front.
so I'm having the same issue a bad shake at 70 and my friend has a t5 driveshaft and my car is a automatic will the t5 driveshaft work and do I have to change anything

1 - 16 of 16 Posts