DFW Mustang Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to figure out what different people have done with carbed cars for forced induction. Im pretty well set on a p-1sc procharger, has anyone else ran this, or something different, do you have pics, suggestions?

·
Premium Member
5,697 Posts
dont know of anyone using a centrifugal blower on a carb'd car, most are doing turbos or roots style blowers.

·
Still Slow
2,347 Posts
haha, i thought that impeller was a rim when i glanced at the thumbnail. Very nice, how much boost are you running and what are you doing for fuel enrichment? Im thinking about just putting 8psi on my 351W with a 750 and vic jr, I have also heard the vic jrs are lean for cyls 1458 because the runner length, would the middle be way too rich if i check the leanest plugs to see if i need more fuel or not? I am thinking about putting a wideband on it just to be safe.

·
Watch Me Do Me
4,896 Posts
I had one on my 350...B&M 144 Roots blower, i think Jyro is running a similar blower but with more boost and alcohol and laying down some sweeet times (9's & 10's all day long, EVERYDAY)

I didnt like my blower, the 144. It only created 5 PSI and was a bitch to keep cool during the summer heat (I had an e-brock aluminum water pump, 3 core heavy duty radiator & electric fan) and still couldnt hardly keep it cool while sitting at a light. I never could get the car tuned, but i was running a HEI system and it was internally advancing the timing (creating too much timing) and making the car run like shit. I didnt know this untill i got rid of the blower and then switched to MSD.

Heres my old site :

www.blown350camaro.freeservers.com

And, Id never own one of these blowers again, i prefer the bottle, but thats me.

·
Registered
454 Posts
The tune of the car does not really change very much. You still have to tune it in the same fashion as N/A.... read plugs. As long as max boost stays the same the tune is stoch.

I had a 144 B&M on a 2180cc VW motor and used a Holley 750 DP running 18#'s of boost an I thought it was GREAT!! LOL but that was a flat 4 cylinder :D A roots style blower will almost MANDATE alcohol fuel with any large quantity of boost due to the insane amount of heat that they generate.

Cost to run a Cog'd F class w/ sheetmetal cooler... Plan on spending 5-6K for the blower components alone. Plus the cost of fuel and ignition components to compensate.

I've got the blower turning as slowly as I can 48,000 and am still seeing 15-16# on the dyno and 19# with a load in 1-2 gear. The blower is far from being in it's efficiency range... Max speed is 70,000rpm/38#'s of boost. I am shutting down when the blower is just starting to become efficient :(

Fuel enrichment: I modified an Aeromotive 1:1 boost sensative regulator. I had to modify it due to the fact that the boost was 10# INSTANTANIOUS with any application of the throttle and the regulator could not compensate quickly enough.

My plugs look pretty consistant between each other but I am not using a stock Vic JR either. If you jet it to get an upper rpm A/F reading of 12-13, you should still be rich enough to address runner length distribution concerns and still allow for a desirable low rpm throttle response. Remember the thermodynamics of fuel evaporation, ie. a carb'd application pulls fuel through the intake and results in at least 25* cooler intake charge versus a direct port FI; Thus, you can run a leaner A/F with less retard and a decreased probability of detonation.

Fuel... I'm still running 93 octane pump gas with 2 gal Toluene per 10 gallons of pump and have 1500 miles with not one speck on any plug!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.