DFW 'Stang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
6,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The place I work at doesnt give any breaks. I thought TX law stated that companys had to give 2 15 mintue breaks and a 30 minute lunch break. Or one 1 hour lunch break per 8 hour period. Anyone know?

·
Hood Approved.
3,359 Posts
I believe it's at least 1 15 minute break every 4 hours. I had the same problem at my last job, and ended up quitting. Just raise some hell about it, or get your hands on every schedule you're on, and take it to a lawyer.

·
Taliban can SUCK IT!
3,145 Posts
can the make you work 7 days a week with no time off for several weeks straight? just a question cause they tired doing that here and i just didnt show up on sundays and they said i was gona get in trouble if i continued not showing up sundays when they said attendance was mandatory :confused:

·
look at em go
3,147 Posts
They are required to have labor laws posted. Usually in the breakroom or something similar to that. If they dont, theres another mark against em.

·
No Cerveza... No Trabajo
21,924 Posts
Neither Texas nor Federal law addresses lunch or breaks.

As far as making you work 7 days a week, as long as they are paying you the overtime (if non-exempt) they can make you work 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year, 10 hours a day.

·
duh...duh....duh
9,543 Posts
Best bet is to get with a lawyer. A lot of times laws can be interpretted 2 different ways. However, a lawyer will understand how the courts think it is and what the law was intended to say.

Take care,

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
Your best bet is to contact the labor relations board and not depend on second hand opinions. Get it straight from the source, however if you pursue it be prepared for retaliation.

·
Mrs. Lariviere
1,616 Posts
I believe that for every 6 hrs you work you are supposed to receive one 30 minute break and one 15 minute break, but i don't think they have to be scheduled...so i don't know what good taking a schedule to your lawyer would do for you.

·
Banned
2,483 Posts
I think how many they employ falls in there also.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
stephen4785 said:
The place I work at doesnt give any breaks. I thought TX law stated that companys had to give 2 15 mintue breaks and a 30 minute lunch break. Or one 1 hour lunch break per 8 hour period. Anyone know?
tx has no such law.. its a myth law.

·
Check out my decor!
8,952 Posts
If you work an 8 hour shift you have to be given 2 15 minute breaks. I'm not sure about the lunch time, but I know you have to be given a break. But if you are part time, I think you get 1 15 minute break.

Look it up on google or yahoo.

·
Taliban can SUCK IT!
3,145 Posts
01WhiteCobra said:
Neither Texas nor Federal law addresses lunch or breaks.

As far as making you work 7 days a week, as long as they are paying you the overtime (if non-exempt) they can make you work 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year, 10 hours a day.
ok but we are working 12 hour shifts :(

fuck it im getting a part time job and going back to school the "real world" is bullshit

·
Registered
809 Posts
blackstripe5.0 said:
I don't think there is any law for breaks...I think you have to work either 6 or 8 hours and supp to get at least 30 minute lunch
You are right.... breaks are a privilege unless stated in individual state law and I dont think Texas has such.... I know Oklahoma doesnt

·
Married Man on 14Feb2010
14,140 Posts
http://www.twc.state.tx.us/news/efte/flsa_does_and_doesnt_do.html

Optional employee benefits and payroll practices not required under any law include such things as:

breaks - although some states require breaks, most do not - federal law has no break requirement - the only exceptions are found in OSHA regulations relating to highly hazardous occupations such as high-altitude steel erection workers or nuclear plant workers - most companies do allow some sort of breaks, however

"coffee breaks" (rest breaks) are paid, since they are regarded as promoting productivity and efficiency on the part of employees and thus benefit the employer - 20 minutes or less in duration

"lunch breaks" are unpaid - defined as 30 minutes or longer for the purpose of eating a meal - employee must be "fully relieved of duties" during the meal break – if employee is answering phones, filing, or otherwise working while eating, the "break" is counted as regular work time

premium, holiday, and weekend pay - this is extra pay for unusual hours, such as "double time" or "triple time" pay for working extra overtime or during times when most employees take off - this is not required under any law, but is often a matter of supply and demand, i.e., whatever is necessary to get employees to be available at unusual times

shift differentials - defined as higher hourly pay for second or third shifts, as opposed to the normal hourly rate given to workers on the daytime shift - as with "premium pay" above, this is a function of supply and demand

raises - not required under state or federal laws, unless the minimum wage is increased on either the federal or the state level. However, even though raises are not required, withdrawing a raise that has previously been promised could give an employee good cause to quit. Important: once a raise goes into effect, the employer must pay it until it is withdrawn - it may be withdrawn only prospectively, never retroactively - a retroactive pay cut will always violate the law

pensions - pension or retirement plans are not required - however, keep the "1000-hour rule" in mind in case you have a pension plan and any workers who work at least 1000 hours in a 12-month period

·
No Cerveza... No Trabajo
21,924 Posts
99shestang said:
If you work an 8 hour shift you have to be given 2 15 minute breaks. I'm not sure about the lunch time, but I know you have to be given a break. But if you are part time, I think you get 1 15 minute break.

Look it up on google or yahoo.
An employer does not have to give a break or a lunchtime to ANY employee unless they are covered some other agreement (like a union contract). The state of Texas, nor the Feds give a crap about breaks or lunch.

Call up the Texas Labor Board, don't google misinformation.

The ONLY federal organization that covers breaks is OSHA and only when the employee is in a high risk job such as high-altitude steel construction or nuclear plants.

·
No Cerveza... No Trabajo
21,924 Posts
Whitesmoke said:
ok but we are working 12 hour shifts :(

fuck it im getting a part time job and going back to school the "real world" is bullshit
Done it before. 4 months straight, 12 hour shifts, 7 days a week building control panel/computer systems for natural gas turbines.

Bought my second truck with cash on the overtime. Made enough to not work for the next 6 months and still have a new truck and savings after the 6 months vacation.

Was bringing home over 1500 a week back in 1984, which back then was what your average lawyers were making!

Hated every minute of it. Fully enjoyed the 6 months after it!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts