DFW Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decide to try and tackle the rebuild on my POS power steering pump. Got the $13.00 Autozone "master" kit and it includes all seals and a pump shaft bushing. Here's the problem: The pump is a vane style pump the use "slippers" mounted in a rotor which spin inside a "cam housing" and those parts are not included in the kit. Seems to me that the groaning that occurs in these fox pumps won't be cured by new seals and the internal pumping parts must be replaced. I can't find the damn things anywhere! Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Ryan

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
New one...

Would have been nice, but I get paid once a month and the week leading up to payday is pretty lean. I had an autozone giftcard so I figured why not. I like learning how things work and I thought complete rebuild kit meant "complete". Oh well now I know what the guts of a power steering pump look like.

Ryan

·
Registered
76 Posts
steering pump

Hey,
Its not hard. The instructions are in the kit. I had a noisy one on my pickup the other day and just put a kit in and it works like new now. The only hard part is getting the pulley off and on. Autozone has a puller they will rent you. Putting it back on just requires a bolt and some washers. I think the bolt is in the kit also.

·
Out with your mom
2,508 Posts
Well AutoZone is NOT the place known for quality parts. I'd spend the few extra bones and get a decent replacment from O'Reilly. They are like what $60 I think w/ lifetime warranty?

·
Still Serving Time
1,665 Posts
once upon a time i rebuilt p/s pumps almost every day at the dealership. now we just replace them (usually with louder ,crappy AER pumps)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts