DFW Mustang Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Cummins > Powerstroke
18,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have been trying to polish my belt tensioner because its not on teh car yet and small but I just cant do it... I dont know wtf Im doing wrong. I used a bench grinder and stripped all the paint off with a wire wheel, then sanded it with a nylon 125grit wheel, sanded it with 220, then 400 and touched it up with 600. I try using Tripoli and it just turns the damn color darker than it was when it was sanded but it smooths out. Then when I do the white rogue, nothing...

can anyone tell me what im doing wrong?

Tim

btw - here is a link on how to do it...

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Pit/7713/polishin1.htm

·
Foxaholic
6,822 Posts
polishing

the tensioner should be a good piece for you to learn on. I wet sanded mine(there is no paint on a stock tensioner) to smooth it out and then started with the tripoli. Make sure that you have a spur to clean off the old tripoli from your buffing wheel. They key is to have a clean buffing wheel with a little tripoli so that the heat builds up and polishes the aluminum. The tensioner took me about 30 minutes. We live in North Richland Hills if you want to learn how to do it. You can easily get it to look like a mirror with very little effort.

·
Cummins > Powerstroke
18,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
do you only use tripoli?

I did teh back part cause its nice and flat and its not shiney enough. I think I need to resand a little better. I went up to 600 grit and it still had small scratches from the sandpaper. I tried polishing it but no luck. I took a break, cleaned teh wheel with a file and it cleaned up a bit, but it still looks black. The I polished it and it got sorta shiney. I tried the other buffing wheel with white rogue and it started to get the mirror look but its still dull.

·
Foxaholic
6,822 Posts
polishing

I think using the wire wheel was not a good idea. If there are ANY scratches at all then you are not ready for polishing stage yet. Use sand paper to prep the parts. We use stages of paper like you are talking about, but you really should not need it with the tensioner. I can give you a call this weekend if you need help.

The white rouge is not necessary, but it changes the finish from shiney to bright mirror shiney.

·
Registered
655 Posts
post some pics.

·
Cummins > Powerstroke
18,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
here is the pic of mine... the flash went off so it looks better than it really is

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.