DFW 'Stang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Pilgrim
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my little project car (sig) just happens to be an AOD. Just curious if anyone else here has had luck with this tranny. How much power have you thrown at it. What are some track times you have gotten with it. Any kind suggestions other than getting a standard ;) Discuss...

·
Get Some!! Get some!!
3,985 Posts
My buddy has a 96gt s/c with over 550hp at the wheels, of course the trans is beefed up but his best is 7.3 in the 1/8th, don't ask me the specifics on the trans

·
DERP DERP DERP
36,645 Posts
had one, burned it up twice, and put a 3550 in the car instead. 302_plus_a_few runs one in his car, as does musclestang89, PM them, they could probably help you out.

·
American Badass
4,474 Posts
I run one in my '90 w/ 5.0 but only have bolt-on modifications, it's my daily. I burned the first one up and rebuilt it with beefed up bands and such, with a 2600 stall converter and a shift kit. It performs much better than stock.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Have a 91Lx and run at Redline occasionally. Have had the AOD in it since 1997 and no problems so far. Have a 3500 stall, manual shift, Transbrake and 3.55 rear gears with drag radials. Runs a 7.4x in the 1/8. Trans was built by a shop in Austin.

·
PVC Racing
9,779 Posts
I have been running the AOD for over 2 years now and I got it used. But it was built by my uncle so I knew it was fine. Best time so far are a [email protected] with only a 1.60 , the converter was way to tight. That was just with a 302 with an s-trim putting down at that time around 475hp. And I plan on going alot faster with it if I don't get the AOD-E in it.

302_plus_a_few runs one to. I think his is a lentech and has ran as fast as a 6.4's in a street car. No mind you thats driving the car there and home. (mines a trailer queen) Not to shabby and thats just with a little 306 with a small turbo :D. And it still has more in it.

pm me for info on my unlce shop, he has done a few of the board members tranny's.

Brandon

·
Registered
495 Posts
aod's are VERY good, even with mod'ed motors, now of corse if you run to much power on a stock tranny you might as well say goodbye, a shift kit and a tranny cooler is good enough till you make over 350-400 HP i am guessing

·
Premium Member
6,070 Posts
I ran an AOD in my car for a few years. It had Kevlar bands and clutches and a 2200 rpm stall in it, nothing too special but it got the job done. My car consisted of B Cam, GT40 Intake, Paxton Supercharger kit, boltons, etc. with 3.73 gears out back. The only major problem I had was it would fall on it's face when it hit 3rd gear. I have converted to a 5 speed now and sold that AOD.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts