DFW Mustang Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
Not that hard at all:). I just did the swap about a month or two ago. All you have to do is put the new rear end in place, ofcourse. You either need to get rid of the quad shocks or re-drill the mounting holes on the rear end 2 inches lower. The Mustangs rear has the holes 2 inches lower. After that you need to cut the old metal brake lines and add adapters to the old ends, you can get them at Auto Zone they are 3/8 to 1/4 adapters. I will get the part number tonight while I am at work. You will also need to get an adjustable brake proportioning valve, $39 from Summit. You can, as I am right now, run without it. Although the back brakes will not be as affective without it. That is really the only modifying you need to do:D.
Bob

·
Banned
31,053 Posts
yeah, I did the swap on a buddy's GT... the car had a mushy pedal and didn't stop as well, and the back tires rubbed... oh, and the replacement parts for the rear brakes were expensive...

learned my lesson... 11.25" 5 lug rear disks from now on! cheaper, better stopping, same track width.

Forrest

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
Forrest said:

learned my lesson... 11.25" 5 lug rear disks from now on! cheaper, better stopping, same track width.

Forrest
Forrest,

What method is the 11.25? Lincoln?

Will the brackets you sold me work for this?

let me know, I'm getting ready to do this...

Thanks!
Shawn

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
Forrest,

who did you say sold the loaded calipers really cheap?
And what years can I ask for?

Also, what is the best way to do the prop. valve?

I already have the SVO M/C you gave me...just need a booster.

Thanks!
Shawn

·
Banned
31,053 Posts
Autozone...

you've already got a 2 port setup being a pre '87... just gut the prop valve and run an aftermarket valve to the rear brakes. an 87+ V8 booster is the same piece as an SVO booster.

(SVO brakes = Lincoln brakes)

Forrest

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
I'm not sure if the booster is a pre 87, any way I can tell? He may have swapped it..

Shawn

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
Probably about a 4 or 5" radius and about the same on the thickness...I'm not sure though. I'd have to go measure it...
It's a really light grey color if that helps! It was also a 4 cylinder car, if that makes a diff...

Shawn

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.