DFW 'Stang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
How you doin'
Joined
·
28,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need to leave dfw and fly to palm springs, ca on july 8th (pref morning) and return to dfw on july 16th (pref leaving around noonish)...

brad
 

·
No Cerveza... No Trabajo
Joined
·
21,924 Posts
You just had to pick the suckiest month to be out there, eh?

Avg temp in July out there is like 110 degrees!
 

·
How you doin'
Joined
·
28,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
01WhiteCobra said:
You just had to pick the suckiest month to be out there, eh?

Avg temp in July out there is like 110 degrees!
yeah...my wife's grandparents live in "29 palms"...or something like that... we're going out there to visit them. i tried my best to get her to tell them that we would pay for them to come down here and put them in a nice place or let them stay in a guest bedroom, but she wouldn't have it...she wants to go out there... from what i understand, it's a damn desert. lol

brad
 

·
No Cerveza... No Trabajo
Joined
·
21,924 Posts
STANGGT40 said:
yeah...my wife's grandparents live in "29 palms"...or something like that... we're going out there to visit them. i tried my best to get her to tell them that we would pay for them to come down here and put them in a nice place or let them stay in a guest bedroom, but she wouldn't have it...she wants to go out there... from what i understand, it's a damn desert. lol

brad
It's an oasis in the desert. I go out there every now and then when I'm in SoCal, leave a couple days early and hang out with the old people.

Got to love a place that is geographically close to places like: Desert Hot Springs, CA and Thermal, CA.

But I'd be damn if I'm going out there in July! I think their temps now are in the upper 80s low 90s.
 

·
Worship me
Joined
·
34,345 Posts
I remember back in 1991 when I was a young buck out of high school, we drove my 89 hatchback to the Marine Corp. depot out in San Diego to pick up a high school buddy who had just finished boot camp. We left there and were driving to Vegas. The desert was so hot that day that the AC in my car wasn't doing a thing for us, it just blowing hot air. I stopped at a gas station to look under the hood to make I hadn't busted a line and the guy at the gas station just laughed and said there was nothing wrong with the AC.
 

·
No Cerveza... No Trabajo
Joined
·
21,924 Posts
You may also want to look at flying into John Wayne and driving out there. After you get out of the city it is a really nice drive. About 90 minutes or so.

You can fly into John Wayne from DFW for about 190 a ticket. Cheapest I've seen going into PS was $400+.

Last week we rented a Mits Endeavor SUV (not a bad rental) for 220 for the entire week from Enterpise at John Wayne.
 

·
How you doin'
Joined
·
28,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
01WhiteCobra said:
You may also want to look at flying into John Wayne and driving out there. After you get out of the city it is a really nice drive. About 90 minutes or so.

You can fly into John Wayne from DFW for about 190 a ticket. Cheapest I've seen going into PS was $400+.

Last week we rented a Mits Endeavor SUV (not a bad rental) for 220 for the entire week from Enterpise at John Wayne.
john wayne airport is only 90minutes from 29 palms? that sounds like a way better deal...what city is john wayne airport in?

brad
 

·
No Cerveza... No Trabajo
Joined
·
21,924 Posts
STANGGT40 said:
john wayne airport is only 90minutes from 29 palms? that sounds like a way better deal...what city is john wayne airport in?

brad
Irvine.

Of course, the qualification would be, "I'm driving". Supposedly, its a 2 hour 30 minute drive according to mapquest.

You should still be able to fly into Ontario for 200 or under. Mapquest says the "normal" drive is 2 hours.

The nearest airport is Palm Springs, which is 60 miles away. Ontario is 100 miles. Irvine is 129 miles.

Hell, mapquest says its an hour and 23 minutes driving from palm springs anyway!
 

·
Colorado Dreamin'
Joined
·
13,881 Posts
You can try Ontario Int'l (ONT) too.. It's about 70 or 80 miles straight out I-10. There are usually decent prices and it's a little easier to navigate from there. From John Wayne you'll have to hit about 4 different freeways.

Edit: Guess I shoudl have read all of WhiteCobra's post..
 

·
How you doin'
Joined
·
28,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oh well...my wife already bought the tickets to john wayne, so i guess that we'll just enjoy a little drive to 29 palms...they didn't have an "suv" as an option, according to my wife, but she did opt for a full size car...which probably means i'll get a kia, in car rental terms. lol

anyway, thanks for the tips! that route saved about $500 or so...:D

<---cheap bastard

brad
 

·
bla bla bla bla
Joined
·
1,952 Posts
If I had saw this earlier would have looked for ya.
<--travel agent.

John Wayne Airport is Orange County. Right there in the Irvine area.

Hope you have fun.

Isn't 29 Palms where the Marine Training camp is? If so. It is the desert. lol.
 

·
How you doin'
Joined
·
28,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
TAHeather said:
If I had saw this earlier would have looked for ya.
<--travel agent.

John Wayne Airport is Orange County. Right there in the Irvine area.

Hope you have fun.

Isn't 29 Palms where the Marine Training camp is? If so. It is the desert. lol.
yep, that's it!
 

·
I Brake (For) Bitches
Joined
·
5,170 Posts
STANGGT40 said:
yeah...my wife's grandparents live in "29 palms"...or something like that... we're going out there to visit them. i tried my best to get her to tell them that we would pay for them to come down here and put them in a nice place or let them stay in a guest bedroom, but she wouldn't have it...she wants to go out there... from what i understand, it's a damn desert. lol

brad
you should try rufe snow travel. they are in north richland hills-817 498 2455..also, 29 palms sucks balls :cool:
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top