DFW Mustang Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know a transmission guy preferably close to Denton that you’d recommend for rebuilding a T5? Recently I had TX Drivetrain Performance in Hurst do the rear end. They did good I guess but maybe a little on the high side. I emailed them about doing the transmission but I haven’t heard back. One thing I’ve noticed is that the pickin’s are pretty slim these days when it comes to aftermarket T5’s. So anyway, does anyone have a lead on where to get one rebuilt and or know a guy selling rebuilt ones? I don’t want the T5Z’s 2.95 first and that’s the only option on the market for a new one other than the TK’s. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,469 Posts
A good transmission shop can do it. There are many "how to" videos for rebuilding the T5. It is not a difficult job if you're good with auto mechanic repairs.

Ford sells a rebuild kit
Ford Performance Brand Image

Item #M7000A. MPN# M-7000-A, $471.99

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TX Drivetrain gave an estimate of $1500 to pull, rebuild, & reinstall. I think I might go that route and have them throw in a billet cluster support. I found a place online that would build a T5 w cryo treated gears for $1900 ($1600 after core returned) but I don’t know if it’d be worth the extra money really. The gears might be stronger but the case is still weak so is the juice worth the squeeze? Maybe not.

·
Premium Member
1,469 Posts
Make sure its a complete rebuild and not a patch job. That Ford kit I posted has all the major parts required for a good factory rebuild. 94 parts in that kit.

Photograph White Product Black Font

You may need a bearing retainer, usually not. Its not included in the Ford kit because it rarely needed. It costa about $65.00.
Camera lens Wheel Lens Bicycle part Camera accessory

Good point about not going cryo gears, to save the transmission case.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Make sure its a complete rebuild and not a patch job. That Ford kit I posted has all the major parts required for a good factory rebuild. 94 parts in that kit.

View attachment 103029

You may need a bearing retainer, usually not. Its not included in the Ford kit because it rarely needed. It costa about $65.00.
View attachment 103030

Good point about not going cryo gears, to save the transmission case.
The retainer is new actually. TX Drivetrain put it in a few months ago.. I emailed them asking what’s included in a typical rebuild. We shall see. Surely they’re calling a “rebuild” something similar to what’s in the Ford Performance kit. If that’s the case I guess I’ll have them do the rebuild along w a billet cluster support and call it a day. We shall see what they say.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts