DFW Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some friends and I were looking to go elk hunting in New Mexico this fall/winter and was wondering if any of ya'll have been? What guide service or outfitter was used?
Service and quality of hunt?
If anyone can provide some info on who to call or outfitters that you have herd of please let me know.
thanks

p.s. Yes I have been looking on the net but there are so many and don't just want to randomly pick one and it turn out the be a big waste of $4000.

·
-----------------------
1,417 Posts
didn't have a guide, but have a friend who has land out there and shot a nice 6x6 with the good ol .30/06 from about 250. I know that those hunts can be expensive. Good luck.

I would not have been able to go if I had to pay a few thousand.

·
Custom Title
16,520 Posts
Fuck that, for 4K can't you just go buy an elk? :eek:

Can't tell you where exactl;ey, but when I lived in Colorado, a lot of frinends went up in the mountains and got some elk and deer. I don't recall them saying anything about paying to go on someones land though, thought it was just in certain area's of the mountains???

<-- never been big game hunting

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The reason for New Mexico is b/c there is no lottery for tags, so if you pay for one you get one unlike in wyoming where you pay for a tag and might not even get drawn.

I just wanted to see if anyone here has had any experience w/ guides for elk or could recommend someone.

Also it will probable cost about $2500 for the whole trip on private land w/ guides, horses and meals and all that.

·
Registered
846 Posts
You might try going to Cloudcroft,New Mexico.I go there once a year and it's part of the Lincoln National Forest.I have seen plenty of Elk there and from what I understand you just need a hunting license and you can hunt on public land.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts