DFW Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am contemplating a career in law enforcement. I just started my research about a month ago and have decided to move forward. I downloaded the "personal history" form and was amazed at its length. 4 main questions I have for any resident leo's:

1)How in depth is the background check? (I don't know if I can remember everywhere I lived since I was 18)
2)Right out of college - must have had 18-20 jobs in 2 years time- is that a disqualifier? Hell I don't even know if I can remember them all. (Currently been with the same company almost 10 yrs though)
3) How difficult is it for a normal citizen to get on with a police department with no previous leo experience?
4)Anything an individual can do to better their chances of getting on with department?

·
Premium Member
1,889 Posts
Traffic tickets, etc will have you frowned upon. You pretty much have to walk the line (before you're hired) and they do a background check, some even do credit checks, but the best way to get hired is to know someone or a few officers or people in the field (dispatchers, correctional officers, etc).

One thing to keep in mind is, if you have a family....make sure you give it a lot of time to discuss because in that line of work, your wife doesnt want a knock on her door at 2am.....

·
Notorious PIG
1,612 Posts
I am contemplating a career in law enforcement. I just started my research about a month ago and have decided to move forward. I downloaded the "personal history" form and was amazed at its length. 4 main questions I have for any resident leo's:

1)How in depth is the background check? (I don't know if I can remember everywhere I lived since I was 18)
2)Right out of college - must have had 18-20 jobs in 2 years time- is that a disqualifier? Hell I don't even know if I can remember them all. (Currently been with the same company almost 10 yrs though)
3) How difficult is it for a normal citizen to get on with a police department with no previous leo experience?
4)Anything an individual can do to better their chances of getting on with department?
1. Pretty in depth butttt thye can kinda understand if you can not remember everywhere. You really need to find out though. Kinda says hey I made an effort.
2. NO but doesnt look good
3. easy as pie. I had zero law enforcement.
4. College hours help. Oh an be really honest about prior drug use.

It is a true pain in the butttt to get hired on but the perks are decent.

·
Coming Soon!
1,121 Posts
What city did you apply for? Some citys will be strict about all of the info. The whole thing is being honest about everything. They will give you a poly graph. That many jobs in 2 years does look kinda bad on you. Shows that you do not have stability, but it is not a dis-qualifier.

Just remember one thing BE HONEST! I used to conduct the background checks on new applicants and if i found any dis-honesty I would recommend to reject the applicant.

·
CHAMPION
4,209 Posts

A app I filled out went back 10 years. If you want the job you'll REMEMBER EVERYTHING... lol

·
Premium Member
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Traffic tickets, etc will have you frowned upon. You pretty much have to walk the line (before you're hired) and they do a background check, some even do credit checks, but the best way to get hired is to know someone or a few officers or people in the field (dispatchers, correctional officers, etc).

One thing to keep in mind is, if you have a family....make sure you give it a lot of time to discuss because in that line of work, your wife doesnt want a knock on her door at 2am.....
Got a ticket for 9 over in 2004-judge dismissed
Got another for 11 over in 2007-took deferred adj.

That's it for tickets.

·
Notorious PIG
1,612 Posts

Not really. I had a few as a teen. It is just class C stuff. Oh and just becuase you know someone it is not really that much help. Will actually make it harder on you in some departments. It might help in a really small non civil service department.

·
Premium Member
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What city did you apply for? Some citys will be strict about all of the info. The whole thing is being honest about everything. They will give you a poly graph. That many jobs in 2 years does look kinda bad on you. Shows that you do not have stability, but it is not a dis-qualifier.

Just remember one thing BE HONEST! I used to conduct the background checks on new applicants and if i found any dis-honesty I would recommend to reject the applicant.
Haven't applied officially anywhere yet, just started looking tonight around the metroplex and noticed the personal history statement.

I noticed plano was hiring.

Yean I didn't know what I wanted to do out of college, so I hopped around a lot until I found out what I wanted to do. Been there the past 9 yrs now.

Honesty is a given, just didn't want to start something if I was going to get dq'ed because of a reason like I asked about.

Are certain department's around the metroplex easier to get onto?

·
Coming Soon!
1,121 Posts
Haven't applied officially anywhere yet, just started looking tonight around the metroplex and noticed the personal history statement.

I noticed plano was hiring.

Yean I didn't know what I wanted to do out of college, so I hopped around a lot until I found out what I wanted to do. Been there the past 9 yrs now.

Honesty is a given, just didn't want to start something if I was going to get dq'ed because of a reason like I asked about.

Are certain department's around the metroplex easier to get onto?
Make sure it is Civil Service!!! When filling them out, it will make you feel like you will be DQ'd. Dont sweat it, I had a bunch of citations between 17-19. They asked me if I had an issue with speed and I just explained to them I was a dumb ass kid that thought I was cool.

Plano usually has a long list. Try to get on with Ft.Worth!

·
Notorious PIG
1,612 Posts
Plano is a bitch but you never know until you try. They have a lot of people test and fewer positions. Also you need to look at if they will pay for your school or if you need to go get certified.

·
Premium Member
32,085 Posts
Like a few of the other ppl that have been in LE, I'll say it depends on the dept for some things.
1. You better figure it out. A good way to at least get started is to run a full blown credit check of yourself, because they will. This will at least give you an idea of some of the places you've lived. They're not going to wanna see credit/resident history problems.
2. Again, better figure it out, somehow. At Richardson, they said you better figure it all out. Do you have prior year tax returns? Maybe you can ask for copies from the IRS to see where you got W2's from and the like. When I had applied, if you couldn't give an address/phone number/contact number, you better track down whoever the last boss was, and if the business was defunct, you had to supply some sort of record to indicate that.
3. I don't find this matters much. If you're already LE, obviously it helps alot because you've already been through background/training before.
4. Do a ride along to see if it's what you want to do. A few traffic citations here and there isn't going to hurt, but anything above that, i.e. class B etc will obviously hurt your chances. But like I said, it depends. With Dallas, it won't matter as much as a smaller municipality.

I know Plano (at least they used to) would hire a lot of people, and put them through the NCTCOG academy, and then would wash everybody out in their mini-academy at the Tri-Cities academy. Kind of a retarded way to do things but what can you do?

I won't sit here and argue the validity of a polygraph, but I am of the general mindset that if you lie, you will most likely get caught. Period.

Most cities will have the civil service test, then the B-PAD, agility course, lots of interviews, and then an oral review board. If you make it that far, stick to your guns and your convictions. Especially if they give you a bunch of "what if' scenarios. They're looking to see that you can make a solid, committed decision in the field and be confident about it.

Keep in mind, there's usually 150-200 other people vying for 1-2 spots in the suburbs.

·
Premium Member
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is dallas easier to get on? Weren't they the dept that said prior convictions by applicants were ok? (Or that could have been another dept I heard about)

·
Premium Member
32,085 Posts
Dallas would be one of the depts where its easier to get on. They have hired people with criminal records, but it doesn't mean they will every time. They tend to hire more often and in larger groups.

·
Premium Member
1,889 Posts
Not really. I had a few as a teen. It is just class C stuff. Oh and just becuase you know someone it is not really that much help. Will actually make it harder on you in some departments. It might help in a really small non civil service department.
Oh Im not saying it will disqualify you, Im just saying if you have a few vs. someone who has none (and I know time plays a role) then it makes it harder on you.

And most cops around here get hired because of who they know.....but I guess it depends on diff areas

·
Big Rooster Racing
1,784 Posts
Got a ticket for 9 over in 2004-judge dismissed
Got another for 11 over in 2007-took deferred adj.

That's it for tickets.
you are one lucky bastard....my driving record looks like a tic tac toe board

1 - 20 of 56 Posts