DFW Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Sports weenie @ full attn
5,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be painting the entire interior of my grandma's house next week. I have a few questions if someone could help me out here.

1. Some of the walls are dark color now but she wants the entire house in a white semi-gloss. So would I need some kind of primer for this to go on before the white paint?

2. She wants the base boards and door frames painted also. Since those are glossy now, do I have to sand those down before I paint them? Do I have to use some kind of primer on those also?

3. There are alot of holes in the walls that she wants filled in and painted over. Whats the best method to go about doing this?

Any other tips would be great :cool:

·
5,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks for the help.

About the deglosser, is that needed? Can I just paint over the glossy paint or do I definitely need some sort of deglosser or primer? What do you mean by time sensitive?

·
Saved by Grace
884 Posts
I've painted a several thousand houses, I'd check to see if the door jambs and baseboard are oil base paint. If they are and you use a cheap semi-gloos latex [water based paint] over them it will peel off and be a nightmare to fix. Sand a small area and see if a dust rubs off on your fingers, if so it's oil or if its really slick to the touch. De-glossing works some of the time but not always. Sanding with 150 grit sand paper and de-glossing works better but not always prevents peeling. If just want to do it and get it over with, prime the wood with oil based Kiltz it stinks like crazy but it'll save you alot of time and won't have granny calling you in month complaining about the baseboard peeling when she hits em with the vacumn cleaner. You don't have to prime the walls just paint them two-three coats semi-gloss, fill the holes with mudd [dry compond] used for taping and bedding. If its the whole house your doing set aside a few days. Good Luck

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
that shit sucks, big time. i was helping my brother paint a few things like his trin and stair rails and shit like that, it was all originally oil based paint so he just bought oil based paint in the color he wanted and i painted over it, its shitty paint imo, its hard to get off your hands too unlike latex based, you have to use paitn thinner or something. but have fun....

·
5,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
72Comet said:
I've painted a several thousand houses, I'd check to see if the door jambs and baseboard are oil base paint. If they are and you use a cheap semi-gloos latex [water based paint] over them it will peel off and be a nightmare to fix. Sand a small area and see if a dust rubs off on your fingers, if so it's oil or if its really slick to the touch. De-glossing works some of the time but not always. Sanding with 150 grit sand paper and de-glossing works better but not always prevents peeling. If just want to do it and get it over with, prime the wood with oil based Kiltz it stinks like crazy but it'll save you alot of time and won't have granny calling you in month complaining about the baseboard peeling when she hits em with the vacumn cleaner. You don't have to prime the walls just paint them two-three coats semi-gloss, fill the holes with mudd [dry compond] used for taping and bedding. If its the whole house your doing set aside a few days. Good Luck

So this oil based Klitz, do you just paint this over the gloss paint or is there some kind of prep you have to do?

And also, if some of the walls are a dark green right now, 2-3 coats of semi-gloss white will completely cover the green? Are there any advantages or disadvantages of using a primer vs. a few coats of paint?

Thanks for the help!

·
Saved by Grace
884 Posts
The advantage of using Kiltz is just paint on let it dry and you're done with it. It is nasty though and will give you a buzz if you don't open some windows [unless your into that sort of thing put on some pink floyd and enjoy]. The only advantage of primer is that its cheaper than paint, but its also thinner and doesn't cover as well. You have to wash out your roller and bucket, then get into the semi-gloss. Use top of the line paint, I use nothing but Benjimen-Moore paint you can probaly get the walls done in two coats.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.