DFW 'Stang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Banned
31,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
been thinking more and more about trying a veggie-oil setup on the truck.

anyone own or work at a restaurant or know someone that owns or works at a restaurant that uses a fair amount of fry oil?

chinese restaurant, donut shop, or somewhere that cooks a lot of fries and stuff like that...

looking for a privately owned place vs. a chain for fear of corporate red tape (though the fear may be unfounded)

my next door neighbor owns a Vietnamese restaurant, but I guess they don't fry nearly as much stuff as the Chinese...

the cousin of one of my sister's friends owns Burger House, but the cousins aren't really that close.

tomorrow morning I'm gonna hit up some restaurants, but don't know how far I'll get considering I don't speak Chinese! :eek:

lemme know if you've got any leads.

thanks,

Forrest

·
Banned
31,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jetfast50 said:
Go to hooters! Tell them you will haul it off for free!
I'm gonna hit up different restaurants... I just wanted to try to get in on a "hookup" type deal vs. a cold call... my pessimism tells me that getting a steady supply of halfway clear oil is gonna be a bitch, but who knows, maybe I'll find some places that'll gladly donate the shit vs. having to pay to have it hauled off and recycled!

Forrest

·
The Medium Kabuki
3,051 Posts
Cooter said:
tomorrow morning I'm gonna hit up some restaurants, but don't know how far I'll get considering I don't speak Chinese! :eek:

lemme know if you've got any leads.

thanks,

Forrest
just about every restaurant has a grease trap where they dump their old grease ... it usually is mixed with all of the chemicals they clean the fryer with ... so, i don't know if you can use that or not...

if you need a place to get some straight out of the fryer, then i know a place or two .... but they're in denton

·
Banned
31,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kaaronc said:
just about every restaurant has a grease trap where they dump their old grease ... it usually is mixed with all of the chemicals they clean the fryer with ... so, i don't know if you can use that or not...

if you need a place to get some straight out of the fryer, then i know a place or two .... but they're in denton
I'd be willing to go to denton if they move a fair amount of oil through there, but if it's only a few gallons a week, it won't really be worth my time I'm affraid... BUT, I'd certainly appreciate some contact info if you don't mind. It's worth a phone call at the very least.

I'm aware of the grease traps, and the water/solids/chemicals can be cleaned out of the oil, but the less prep the better... the cleaner the oil the better... I was told chinese restaurants tend to be a good source. I thought up the donut thing all my myself! I AR3 SMRT! :D

Forrest

·
The Medium Kabuki
3,051 Posts
Cooter said:
I'd be willing to go to denton if they move a fair amount of oil through there, but if it's only a few gallons a week, it won't really be worth my time I'm affraid... BUT, I'd certainly appreciate some contact info if you don't mind. It's worth a phone call at the very least.

pm

·
Premium Member
5,741 Posts
might know of someone in denton that could help ya out, i'll let you know.

·
Premium Member
7,724 Posts
Hell yeah man, do it!!! I've been wanting to do that for a long time, but I don't have a diesel. I am really tempted to get an old duece-and-a-half, but the home owner nazi would shit a king-sized matress sideways if I tried to park it in front of the house....

As you already know, you should be able to get the oil just about anywhere. I would just walk in and ask if you can have it for free if you bring them a container. There are tons of places all around so you're bound to hit the jackpot somewhere.

I've already come up with some "ideas" to build the oil tank. I would build it in a box shape with a removable, but bolted on/gasket sealed lid so you could clean out the junk every once in a while. You could make it out of steel and insulate the bottom and the sides to keep the heat in and use a coil of copper tube on the bottom to run the engine coolant through.....

·
Which one's the clutch?
2,313 Posts
Jetfast50 said:
Go to hooters! Tell them you will haul it off for free!

well most resturants have a huge cylinder thing that they load the shorting into. and a company pays them for it...so i doubt they would give it to you...maybe tho

·
Registered
809 Posts
Craizie said:
well most resturants have a huge cylinder thing that they load the shorting into. and a company pays them for it...so i doubt they would give it to you...maybe tho
Resteraunts PAY to have waste removed..... not vice versa

·
Premium Member
5,741 Posts
kaaronc said:
:D .... i mentioned riprock's
haha yeah. there or cool beans or chopsticks.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Have you talked to anyone that has done it? I have a friend that tried it and he said it just wasnt worth it for all the troubles....

·
Banned
31,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I haven't tried it... doesn't seem like it would be that bad in this climate... I haven't decided if I'm going to really try to run it straight of if I'm going to make my own bio.

but I wanna try it... alt fuels have always intrigued me.

Forrest

1 - 20 of 62 Posts